Chicken very sick with mites

ecogirl2206

Songster
Feb 26, 2017
I've been dealing with mites for a couple weeks when they started biting me at night in bed!!! Pressure washed the coop treated it with diatomaceous earth and mite spray ( essential oil based, popular on amazon) I was planning on continuing that once a week and hopefully they would go away... I haven't been able to treat my 5 chickens cuz they're not easy to catch but I noticed one of my chickens lagging behind I figured I'd try to catch her ....she's real sick guys. she didn't even try to get away she just rolled over and laid there for 10 minutes while I covered her and diatomaceous earth and mite spray. Her vents real dirty. I did get her to drink a little baby food puree and she ate some crumbles. Should I put her in the garage on her own? I don't want to bring her inside and get more mites in the house or would she be better off in the coop? the dominant hen is starting to peck at her but I don't see any peck injuries yet. Ugh, I feel terrible. Is there anything else I can treat her with? I hope she makes it to tomorrow morning. Thanks.

Okay I too had mites in my coop so this is what i used for the dirt I put some Prozap also dusted the chickens butt back and under the wing and a bit on their neck you might need another person to help you out when I dust them I cover their face with a cloth so they don’t breathe it in and let them breathe when moving to another part of their body, also add some powder to their boxes and move with a glove to spread around and if you can get a poultry mite spray for the wall and all those hard places to reach with it. I recommend Gordon’s poultry spray since it’ll last for good time since it has to be diluted with water also dust places around the coop.

I've been dealing with mites for a couple weeks when they started biting me at night in bed!!! Pressure washed the coop treated it with diatomaceous earth and mite spray ( essential oil based, popular on amazon) I was planning on continuing that once a week and hopefully they would go away... I haven't been able to treat my 5 chickens cuz they're not easy to catch but I noticed one of my chickens lagging behind I figured I'd try to catch her ....she's real sick guys. she didn't even try to get away she just rolled over and laid there for 10 minutes while I covered her and diatomaceous earth and mite spray. Her vents real dirty. I did get her to drink a little baby food puree and she ate some crumbles. Should I put her in the garage on her own? I don't want to bring her inside and get more mites in the house or would she be better off in the coop? the dominant hen is starting to peck at her but I don't see any peck injuries yet. Ugh, I feel terrible. Is there anything else I can treat her with? I hope she makes it to tomorrow morning. Thanks.
Also don’t buy DE it loses its deworming properties when eaten since it looses its texture and has been proven in an article if I can find it I’ll link it. Permethrin is the best thing to use against mite, and for deworming safeguard is the one.

Use 7 dust on the hen, under her wings, vent and back, nest box and add some to the dust bathing area, all roosts and floor after cleaning. Repeat after a week, and continue to add to dust bath every once in a while. Do not get on cats ,food or water. If her comb is pale give her vitamins for chickens in her drinking water.

If this girl is having the life sucked out of her by mites, they must be treated ASAP. However, she needs some warmth, fluid and nutrients right away for strength. Can you offer her a little sugar water? Do you have any pedialyte or gatorade on hand? Also, I have found chopped cooked beef liver can help with anemia.

Last edited:
Essential oils and DE don't work on mites.

Use the good stuff. Permethrin in dust form and Fluralaner. Fluralaner can be applied either topical form via Bravecto (for cats and dogs) divided using a baby medicine syringe, or via water mix in the with Exzolt (if available in your country). Fluralaner will kill any and all mites that feed on your chooks.

Make sure you get every nook and cranny with permethin. I cover the entire coop in a tarp with a small opening and use a leaf blower to inundate the coop-cum-tent with permethrin dust.

Essential oils and DE don't work on mites.

Use the good stuff. Permethrin in dust form and Fluralaner. Fluralaner can be applied either topical form via Bravecto (for cats and dogs) divided using a baby medicine syringe, or via water mix in the with Exzolt (if available in your country). Fluralaner will kill any and all mites that feed on your chooks.

Make sure you get every nook and cranny with permethin. I cover the entire coop in a tarp with a small opening and use a leaf blower to inundate the coop-cum-tent with permethrin dust.
Great method!

Back
Top Bottom