Chicken Vomit

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jay1105, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Jay1105

Jay1105 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    San Antonio
    I live in San Antonio and the temp was 100 today. I was out working on a new run for my turkey and saw one of my chicken hens throw up a clear liquid. I hadnt seen this before. Has any one else seen this happen, and why? She seemed to be acting fine eating, normal poop etc.... Too much water or could it be she was overheating?

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Too much water. I see some of our hens do that here on hot days. The last time it got to 100 here I even had one hen that drank so much water that her crop was the size of a grapefruit. She jumped down into a hole that the birds had dug out on the pasture and was too heavy to get back out.

3. Jay1105

Jay1105 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    San Antonio
    Too Funny.. I kind of thought she might have drank too much because of the heat. I have a nipple waterer set up. Thanks for the reply.

4. Mamma_Duck04

Mamma_Duck04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Crazyville, VA
    I grabbed up one of mine one day & had her do this, when I stopped & thought about it, she'd just finished drinking only minutes before. I'd say she just tried drinking too much/too quick & regurgitated it.

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Mine so this all the time!! They drink gallons of water a day!!

6. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Yep, the first time I saw mine do that I freaked out. Then realized she had just finished drinking and it was only water. It was hot and they were so thirsty.

7. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    Yeah, it really freaked me out too, but my birds were just thirsty little girls. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by