Chicken Walking On Hocks!

Chiken10

In the Brooder
Aug 30, 2022
I have a Amerucana Pullet that got herself stuck the other day, when I got her out I noticed she was walking on her hocks, I've given her vitamin b complex mixed with water 3mm by syringe 2 twice a day. She's been walking on her hocks for a week now and I wonder if I should try something new or continue what I've been doing. I need advice on what to do to help her get better.

You may not be giving her enough B-complex. If you can find it, B-100 has the highest amounts of B-2,6, and 12 and if you give one whole tablet directly into her beak each day, it should repair any nerve damage she sustained. Do not dilute it in water. Any that her body doesn't use will be excreted in her poop.

For good measure, get some vitamin E400iu and give her one capsule per day directly into her beak. This also can help with nerve damage.

I have a Amerucana Pullet that got herself stuck the other day, when I got her out I noticed she was walking on her hocks, I've given her vitamin b complex mixed with water 3mm by syringe 2 twice a day. She's been walking on her hocks for a week now and I wonder if I should try something new or continue what I've been doing. I need advice on what to do to help her get better.
Do you have photos or a video of her?

Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

How many days has she had the Vitamins?

Can she eat/drink on her own?

Here's your other thread/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-walking-on-hocks-after-being-stuck.1546125/

T
You may not be giving her enough B-complex. If you can find it, B-100 has the highest amounts of B-2,6, and 12 and if you give one whole tablet directly into her beak each day, it should repair any nerve damage she sustained. Do not dilute it in water. Any that her body doesn't use will be excreted in her poop.

For good measure, get some vitamin E400iu and give her one capsule per day directly into her beak. This also can help with nerve damage.
hank you so much! I'll try that today.

How is she doing now? Has she recovered?

I have one 2 year old hen that is doing the same thing, not sure if she was injured--no visible sign of injury but started limping three days ago, now walking on hocks. Still good appetite and wants to move around limping, have been giving her poultry vitamin in water three days, waiting to see if that helps.

Thank you.

How is she doing now? Has she recovered?

I have one 2 year old hen that is doing the same thing, not sure if she was injured--no visible sign of injury but started limping three days ago, now walking on hocks. Still good appetite and wants to move around limping, have been giving her poultry vitamin in water three days, waiting to see if that helps.

Thank you.
Make sure that your vitamins contain riboflavin (B2.) You may also use human B complex 1/2 tablet daily.Riboflavin deficiency can cause walking or sitting on hocks and curled under toes. Has she been laying eggs recently? Do you have any pictures or a video which could be uploaded to YouTube with a link posted here?

Thank you so much for the reply! She took a break from egg laying on the first two days after she started limping, then on day 3 she laid an egg, and day 4 another egg, day 5 is today and we will see if she has an egg. Hopefully that rules out being eggbound.

Here is a video of her trying to walk.

We put her in a box at night inside the house, she quietly sits there and is happy. In the day time we take her out to see her friends, she wants to join the flock and love playing in the yard, but the left leg can't bear weight. She tries to extend that leg as you can see.

We took her to the vets and had an X-ray done, no signs of injury from the x ray. The vet does not specialized in chickens though.

How long does it take to see improvement if it is a result of vitamin B deficiency? We started to give her vitamin B complex half a tablet yesterday as you suggested.

Could it be an injury other than broken bone? Will a splint help? Anything else we can do?

Is there any swelling of her joints?
No fractures on the Xray?

I'd be inclined to wrap the leg, maybe splint it and see what happens.
I'm not a vet, that's for sure, but to me she moves like it's injured. Could still be disease like Marek's, but she moves like one of my hens that injured her leg running into a fence when she was chased by my dog.

Now, you must understand, I do but I don't coddle mine, so I just stabilized the leg with wrap and some trimmed down popsicle sticks for a couple of days, let her roam as she pleased. She was not pleased and seemed uncomfortable with the sticks, so I rewrapped with just vet wrap and left it for about 1 1/2 weeks (She was happy with that and learned to move very well). Then I took it off to see how she did. She still limped a bit, but it got better. This is a layer hen that self limited her activity and chose to sleep in a nest for a few days, then she moved to a low roosting bar, then finally made it to back roosting in the rafters about 12' up. She did recently present with limping again, likely from flying so far down and bad landing, so I just repeated the process. She did too and is now back in the rafters yet again. I'm sure this will continue for as long as she lives and as long as she's able to make it to the rafters.

BUT, I do also agree, giving vitamin support is a very good idea. I do use them and I feel they can make a difference.

Just my 2¢

Hopefully, it is just a strained tendon or injury. Supporting it with tape or vet wrap might help support it. Make sure that it does not tighten too much cutting off circulation.

Back
Top Bottom