Chicken walking with leg way out to the side/in front of her

Rewskie

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2019
Hi guys,
I have a hen (about 7 months old) who recently started walking with her leg way out to the side of her and in front of her. It almost looks splayed but I don’t know if that can happen to older birds, and it was a sudden appearance so I’m guessing it was an injury. She runs with cattle and goats so getting stepped on could be a possibility. I brought her in with her hen who won’t leave her side. She’s in a dog crate with food and water. Eating and drinking well, just not mobile. I don’t feel any breaks, but was thinking possibly dislocation? I’m thinking about splinting it into the right position and hoping it can heal, as the vet here is far too expensive for this seeing the outcome with chickens is so unpredictable. And input will be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Pictures of her standing from the front straight on or back might help, and you can hold her up with the feet touching the ground. A video which has to be uploaded to YouTube with a link posted here are also good. Have her legs always looked normal and straight before? Are her toes curled under on the affected leg?

ED63920F-BDA7-4DCE-B2B3-D3526CED4B11.jpeg
This is how she sits, she’s not able to stand. The toes on her other leg curl, but not the one she is holding out. I cannot post videos on YouTube sorry

Pictures of her standing from the front straight on or back might help, and you can hold her up with the feet touching the ground. A video which has to be uploaded to YouTube with a link posted here are also good. Have her legs always looked normal and straight before? Are her toes curled under on the affected leg?
She has always looked normal before. I’ve noticed what looks like a bone jutting up higher on her back than the one that she keep out away from her body.
4BC4D7AF-2AE7-4F38-884D-0CCBEE618454.jpeg

Unfortunately, that's the classic stance for Marek's. Not insisting this is what's wrong with this beautiful girl, but it's an obvious sign.

It can also be caused by a vitamin B deficiency. You could try her out on B-complex and see if she improves. Add E 400iu for possible neurological issues. It might help and won't hurt anything.

Unfortunately, that's the classic stance for Marek's. Not insisting this is what's wrong with this beautiful girl, but it's an obvious sign.

It can also be caused by a vitamin B deficiency. You could try her out on B-complex and see if she improves. Add E 400iu for possible neurological issues. It might help and won't hurt anything.
Thank you.

how soon would I be seeing symptoms in my other birds if it was mareks? And how can I be sure?

Back
Top Bottom