Chicken wants attention?

sean_wonder

Songster
6 Years
Jul 9, 2016
My Coop
My Coop
Just curious to hear your thoughts, but lately my smallest girl, Cheryl, has started chasing my feet and pecking them until I pick her up and give her a cuddle. I gave her a very quick cuddle this morning (I have to cuddle her until she relaxes her legs, otherwise she keeps pecking) and while I was crouched down to check the grit dispenser she pecked my hand until I picked her up, after which she relaxed!! Is she just a huge cuddle fiend?? Normally I give her so much more attention than I have been lately, and ever since the attention waned she started giving me these light little taps until I pick her up!!

She doesn't growl, she doesn't fluff her neck up. It's not a dominance display for sure. She often purrs or makes a happy 'gluck gluck' sound after I finally pick her up and snuggle. Do I need to give her more attention so she stops pecking me? Is this normal/okay? Does anyone else have a chicken needy for snuggles??

You are like her mama, you have been spending so much time with her and has gotten use to the routine, I think that is pretty cute but if you don't want to give her the attention I suggest ignoring her or spending time away with her and keeping her with the other chicks.

You are like her mama, you have been spending so much time with her and has gotten use to the routine, I think that is pretty cute but if you don't want to give her the attention I suggest ignoring her or spending time away with her and keeping her with the other chicks.
Oh no I totally love it and think it's adorable!! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't misinterpreting what was happening and that this was healthy/okay. The last thing I wanna do is anthromorphise my chickens so I wanted to see what was happening in the realm of chicken behavior. That is sooooooo cute though awwww.... I'm gonna give her more snuggles when I get home :hit:love:hit

My lavender orpingtons and rhode island reds always beg for cuddles or food, they always want to follow me across the bridge to my house to so yes, I agree it is cute. but the poop on my sidewalk isn't so cute..
Oh my goodness all my chickens run to the porch as soon as they hear the porch door open. And then they follow you for a while after begging for treats. It's not cute having to wash the poop off the deck, I agree haha

Oh my goodness all my chickens run to the porch as soon as they hear the porch door open. And then they follow you for a while after begging for treats. It's not cute having to wash the poop off the deck, I agree haha
Especially when your brother steps in it and smudges it all over so it isn't cleanable :rant

My Buff Orps LOVE attention and petting. :love
Cheryl runs into the house if I leave the door open. Clementine is pretty affectionate too, and Badonkadonk, but Cheryl is the most for sure. I knew chickens could enjoy petting, but not so much that they'd chase ya around and knock you on your toes until you give em a cuddle!! I'm in love, that's so cute:love

Back
Top Bottom