Chicken wars!

Quote:
Well after all this time it will look silly to take the guy to court which he should have done by now. With all due respect Sheriff speak, "there's nothing we can do" = "we don't want to be bothered". Please don't anyone come back and say it ain't so, I'm much to old to get into it.

So what to do now.

1. get a dog that will take care of them.

2.. put up a fence.

3. Catch the chickens and make soup.

4. get one of those coyote cut outs or a bunch and set them up. or a scare crow.

or what should have been done long ago take the guy to court and make him pay for the damage. If you dad figures it's under $5,000, it should go to small claims and no attorney is needed. Course he will need proof so pictures would help.

You should lease my dog who is a known bird killer- Although she may follow them back to the chicken coop.

Seriously I would get a bird dog and or start trapping them. But I would look into the law first to make sure you are not breaking any laws yourself.

You can borrow my boxer...shes really good with chickens. She'll even eat the evidence!
wink.png

Check your state laws on discharging a firearm. Most states have a clause that disallows shooting at an occupied building and/or within a specified number of feet of a residence. After you have checked state laws, check county ones; they may have stricter provisions.

Is the field fenced? What kind of fencing (how are the birds getting into the field)? Your neighbor is responsible for keeping his birds on his own property, but if your dad is serious enough about keeping them off, he needs to consider putting up a fence.

I do not think free range laws cover this situatiuon; especially if the land is fenced. Provisions of land you have leased are negotiable between tenant & landlord, and really have nothing to do with free range laws. Anyone could negotiate provisions allowing their livestock to range on land leased to their tenant if they can find a tenant who will accept that provision.

I know alot of folks are saying have your dad put a fence, but sometimes it can be hard to hay a fenced in field. A friend of mine who hays about 1000 acres of different fields always has issues with one that is fenced in. Fences can make it difficult to get the equipment in to hay it.

Back
Top Bottom