Chicken water nipples reviews?

Thank you Loan Oak. As for dripping, I had that problem too. Tried plumbers tape, not much better. Just got some aquarium safe silicone yesterday and am now going to try that.

FYI Don't mount the water tank too high above the nipples (My bucket is outside the coop and have PVC pipe running in with horizontal nipples) Gravity creates too much pressure in the system and the nipples leak. 

Last edited:
If your poultry nipples can't handle a couple feet of gravity head, I wouldn't trust them at all. They're poorly designed. and will eventually just start leaking on their own. More pressure should make them seal better, not worse.

The horizontal nipples are much better designed than the vertical ones (as they're spring loaded). They don't leak, at all.

You would be surprised how much pressure there is. If I remove one of the nipples the water comes shooting out. 4 gallons of water is 25lbs. It is probably not an issue if you put the nipples straight into the bucket.

It doesn't matter how many gallons there are, what matters is the height - and 6 feet is only about 2.5 psi.

I did some research and it looks like some of the cheaper vertical nipples are supposed to be used at under 1 psi, which means even a 5g bucket is pushing it (and the PVC vertical tube waterers are way too tall). I have absolutely no idea how you'd maintain a poultry farm while keeping your nipples to less than 1 psi - your holding tanks would have to be huge, wide, and low - like kiddy pools - unless they're using pressure regulators or something.

The horizontal ones are rated from 8-10 psi, which is about 20 feet.

Basically, don't use the vertical nipples.

I made a switch this winter to the horiz nipples in my water bucket. So far I like them! They drip less during use than the vertical type & are positioned more inside the bucket. Although my water never froze last winter, the vertical nipples iced over when we got down below 8-9'F. The drips of water also froze causing an ice slick below the water bucket. So far so good. The hens drank from it right away. It’s easier to refill. There’s less dripping as the hens drink. (I was able to remove the pan below.) The water stays clean & I simply refill it once a week when I clean it. (The submergible heater only turns on when the water temp goes below 35’F.)

The only thing I don't know yet is if my set up will freeze when below zero. I know the heater will keep the water inside the bucket from freezing, but the exterior of the nipples may freeze.

I've been using the little push-ins...I settled with putting two on the lower side of a Trader Joe's Ice Tea gallon jug opposite the handle, that way I can sit the jugs flat when I am refilling them instead of having them sit on the nipples and having it leak all over, and then I hang from the handle at a slight angle. I also drilled a couple of air holes near the cap, not sure if it's really necessary, but I have noticed there is no black stuff (mold, mildew, upchuk?) any more. I have had leakage occasionally, not sure if it's from my inexpertly drilled holes... now I use silicone caulk around the little collars. I made about six of them and switch them out for my six hens weekly and as needed, have one inside, one or two outside. I use water with ACV. I am very satisfied with the system. The grils had no trouble figuring out how to use them. I got a pan-style heated waterer for winter, but the girls seem to prefer the nipples, just take a swig or two in passing and move on...

Can you post a picture?

I made a switch this winter to the horiz nipples in my water bucket. So far I like them! They drip less during use than the vertical type & are positioned more inside the bucket. Although my water never froze last winter, the vertical nipples iced over when we got down below 8-9'F. The drips of water also froze causing an ice slick below the water bucket. So far so good. The hens drank from it right away. It’s easier to refill. There’s less dripping as the hens drink. (I was able to remove the pan below.) The water stays clean & I simply refill it once a week when I clean it. (The submergible heater only turns on when the water temp goes below 35’F.)

The only thing I don't know yet is if my set up will freeze when below zero. I know the heater will keep the water inside the bucket from freezing, but the exterior of the nipples may freeze.

I use 40 watt Bird Bath Deicers and in my water buckets with Horizontal nipples and they never froze even when we had -15 degrees F. at night and never got warmer than 9 degrees during the day for a week to ten days.

Back
Top Bottom