Chicken waterer nipple ?

Two nipples for the first 20 and one more for each 10 after that. There is almost no way possible for a nipple drinker to fail to deliver water. If they fail in any way it is by delivering to much water or leaking.
Milk jug, pitchers that don't hang straight, etc are problamatic. It seems that square covered plastic pails work the best in many situations.

I wouldn't think a milk jug would hold up. I have four in the bottom of a 5-gallon bucket. It worked really well until the night time temps dropped into the teens. I might have to get a bucket warmer b/c I don't think the hens like drinking from the pan anymore. If I could find some, I'd really like to have a couple of the smaller, covered, square pails. They quit seller our cat litter in them though. BTW...I had a dozen using four nipples and don't think I would have needed more than 2 though.

Quote:
Ok ... thanks for the info, I have some yellow square cat litter pails, so those should work out fine for the coop, probably 3 nipples in the bottom.

I read that for plastic pails you should use the push in type nipples with the gaskets... are those the best too use ?

For a small chick brooder what would you reccomend for a container to use for the nipples ? Can't be too big, since my brooder is just a large plastic rubbermaid tote.

yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:
We have a 5 gallon plastic pail. Heater in it. And 4 nipples. It is hanging from the ceiling.
We have Silkie Chickens. They were brought up on waterer that is heated. 14 hens l rooster.

They seem to go for the waterer. Nipples???? only once in a while. I don't think this is the
best way. It is the best way to keep the water from freezing. But...will your chickens know
how to use them?

Quote:
Can't they be taught? I know when I introduce a new waterer to them, I just tap it so that water comes out and they eventually get the hang of it. The nipples are usually red and a curious chicken seems to want to investigate.
By The Way - I have 3 nipples in a 5 gallon pail with an aquarium heater in the pail and so far it has been working out very nicely even though we have been having quite a cold, snowy winter.

Quote:
Ok ... thanks for the info, I have some yellow square cat litter pails, so those should work out fine for the coop, probably 3 nipples in the bottom.

yippiechickie.gif

I read that for plastic pails you should use the push in type nipples with the gaskets... are those the best too use ?

For a small chick brooder what would you reccomend for a container to use for the nipples ? Can't be too big, since my brooder is just a large plastic rubbermaid tote.

yippiechickie.gif

In my brooder, I used a small plastic candy bucket with 1 nipple.
Chickens-11-08-10-015.jpg

This pic shows it in the coop when I first moved the chickies out, but it was also used in the brooder.

Quote:
woot.gif
that's an interesting looking container for a waterer, was it difficult to get a nipple in that container ?
I think for my brooder I'll try some half gallon milk jugs 1st.

D.gif

Back
Top Bottom