Chicken waterer nipple ?

We have a 5 gallon plastic pail. Heater in it. And 4 nipples. It is hanging from the ceiling.
We have Silkie Chickens. They were brought up on waterer that is heated. 14 hens l rooster.

They seem to go for the waterer. Nipples???? only once in a while. I don't think this is the
best way. It is the best way to keep the water from freezing. But...will your chickens know
how to use them?

I know what a nipple is
wink.png
but what is a chicken waterer nipple:idunno

I have a 5 gallon bucket with 5 nipples around the edge, this waters 10 chickens just fine! I also have a submersable heater and a slot in the lid for the elect cord. I put a tile on the bottom for my heater to sit on. The water stays clean and Im a happy girl! The one thing that REALLY bugged me was the dirty water everyday. We can even go out of town for a few days and I know they wont suffer.

Quote:
Can't they be taught? I know when I introduce a new waterer to them, I just tap it so that water comes out and they eventually get the hang of it. The nipples are usually red and a curious chicken seems to want to investigate.
By The Way - I have 3 nipples in a 5 gallon pail with an aquarium heater in the pail and so far it has been working out very nicely even though we have been having quite a cold, snowy winter.

I have 5 nipples for the pvc waterer for our 16 chickens and it works great!! I reallyneed to post pics of it!! I have it hooked up to a 55 gallon rain barrel..LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!

Quote:
Ok ... thanks for the info, I have some yellow square cat litter pails, so those should work out fine for the coop, probably 3 nipples in the bottom.

yippiechickie.gif

I read that for plastic pails you should use the push in type nipples with the gaskets... are those the best too use ?

For a small chick brooder what would you reccomend for a container to use for the nipples ? Can't be too big, since my brooder is just a large plastic rubbermaid tote.

yippiechickie.gif

In my brooder, I used a small plastic candy bucket with 1 nipple.
Chickens-11-08-10-015.jpg

This pic shows it in the coop when I first moved the chickies out, but it was also used in the brooder.

Quote:
woot.gif
that's an interesting looking container for a waterer, was it difficult to get a nipple in that container ?
I think for my brooder I'll try some half gallon milk jugs 1st.

D.gif

Quote:
When I decided to use a nipple waterer in my brooder, I looked around to see what sort of plastic container I had around the house that I wouldn't mind messing up. I just happened to see this empty container that my DH had just finished the contents. We heated an ice pick and used that to make the hole in the bottom, enlarging it slightly until it was the right size for the nipple. The I just poked 3 holes equally around the top & put in string to hang it.

I guess the half gallon milk jug would work, just be sure the bottom is strong enough to stand the hanging the weight of the water.

Quote:
When I decided to use a nipple waterer in my brooder, I looked around to see what sort of plastic container I had around the house that I wouldn't mind messing up. I just happened to see this empty container that my DH had just finished the contents. We heated an ice pick and used that to make the hole in the bottom, enlarging it slightly until it was the right size for the nipple. The I just poked 3 holes equally around the top & put in string to hang it.

I guess the half gallon milk jug would work, just be sure the bottom is strong enough to stand the hanging the weight of the water.

THe Heated ice pick is a good idea to avoid cracking a thin plastic container.

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom