Chicken waterers winter

my first winter with chickens, we had a nipple system to a stock tank inside the shed. i put a stock tank heater in it to keep the water from freezing. i think you can do the same with a 5 gal bucket that has nipples

On Amazon you can get a Thermocube for $10...plug a submersion heater in their water. I put a “nightlight” on it so I know when it’s on. I dropped the submerged heater into a 50 gallon plastic barrel with metal nipples. makes it easy if you don’t have plumbed water.
The stock tank deicer I use has its own thermostat. It comes on at 35 degrees and turns off at 45.

On Amazon you can get a Thermocube for $10...plug a submersion heater in their water. I put a “nightlight” on it so I know when it’s on. I dropped the submerged heater into a 50 gallon plastic barrel with metal nipples. makes it easy if you don’t have plumbed water.

Thank you I’ll look into this as well!

The stock tank deicer I use has its own thermostat. It comes on at 35 degrees and turns off at 45.
mine do too. i just put them on the thermocube so i can plug in a nightlight and know if it’s actually working. we leave a lot on weekends to ski so it’s an easy visual if somebody stops by to grab eggs without having to walk in the coop. i use the same system for my seedling mats in the back roll outs...nightlight...so i know it’s working....so...$20 for the visual cue

i will also admit that i am a dentist and pretty neurotic by nature...so, i have a 50 gallon food safe container outside the coop fed by the gutter with a submerged heater...connected by hose wrapped in a heated conduit to the 50 gallon waterer with a submersible heater in the coop with 8 metal nipples. even my “run off” hose is heated to ensure the excess water runs off. my coop is way over engineered compared to the coop i grew up with...yet WAY smaller.

Back
Top Bottom