Chicken waterers winter

muddy75

56 days til Spring!! 🌸
Premium Feather Member
Aug 17, 2018
southern indiana
My Coop
Thank you! I’ll def read more about it!! I have a heated metal based to put under metal waterer but looking for other ideas! What brand do you use for heated waterer? And does it work well?
mine is a 2.5 gallon plastic waterer.....it works well for me. luckily we haven’t encountered frozen water yet this year

muddy75

56 days til Spring!! 🌸
Premium Feather Member
Aug 17, 2018
southern indiana
My Coop
my first winter with chickens, we had a nipple system to a stock tank inside the shed. i put a stock tank heater in it to keep the water from freezing. i think you can do the same with a 5 gal bucket that has nipples

wamtazlady

Crowing
Jul 18, 2013
Kalispell MT
On Amazon you can get a Thermocube for $10...plug a submersion heater in their water. I put a “nightlight” on it so I know when it’s on. I dropped the submerged heater into a 50 gallon plastic barrel with metal nipples. makes it easy if you don’t have plumbed water.
The stock tank deicer I use has its own thermostat. It comes on at 35 degrees and turns off at 45.

B_Chickle01

Chirping
Nov 11, 2020
On Amazon you can get a Thermocube for $10...plug a submersion heater in their water. I put a “nightlight” on it so I know when it’s on. I dropped the submerged heater into a 50 gallon plastic barrel with metal nipples. makes it easy if you don’t have plumbed water.

Thank you I’ll look into this as well!

Carson213

Chirping
Aug 31, 2020
The stock tank deicer I use has its own thermostat. It comes on at 35 degrees and turns off at 45.
mine do too. i just put them on the thermocube so i can plug in a nightlight and know if it’s actually working. we leave a lot on weekends to ski so it’s an easy visual if somebody stops by to grab eggs without having to walk in the coop. i use the same system for my seedling mats in the back roll outs...nightlight...so i know it’s working....so...$20 for the visual cue

Carson213

Chirping
Aug 31, 2020
i will also admit that i am a dentist and pretty neurotic by nature...so, i have a 50 gallon food safe container outside the coop fed by the gutter with a submerged heater...connected by hose wrapped in a heated conduit to the 50 gallon waterer with a submersible heater in the coop with 8 metal nipples. even my “run off” hose is heated to ensure the excess water runs off. my coop is way over engineered compared to the coop i grew up with...yet WAY smaller.

Top Bottom