Chicken Wheezing and sneezing

Rockergirl

Chirping
Sep 14, 2022
Hi! one of my chickens is wheezing and sneezing. Walks with mouth open and you can hear her breathing with like a rattle. She acts okay for now but the wheezing has me concerned? I have 5 other chickens but they seem to be okay. I brought her inside, she is in a dog crate right now with food and water (with electrolytes, vitamins). What can I do to help her get better? We do not have any poultry vets around here.

Does she have any nasal drainage, bubbles or foam in one eye, or any swelling around an eye or the face? How often does she sneeze? Have you added any new birds recently? Does she sound at all like the silkie in this video with stridor:

Does she have any nasal drainage, bubbles or foam in one eye, or any swelling around an eye or the face? How often does she sneeze? Have you added any new birds recently? Does she sound at all like the silkie in this video with stridor:

No drainage or foam around eyes. She doesn't sound like the bird in the video, it's like a rasphy breathing/wheezing type thing and if she gets more nervous it gets worse. The sneezing was fairly often (like every minute) while she was outside in the run but the sneezing part has calmed down some since I brought her inside but her wheezing is pretty regular, like she is out of breath. No new birds recently. I gave her scrambled eggs with oregano and put some vetrx in her water, not sure if either of those work...

Well, it could be a virus, such as infectious bronchitis. That usually will affect the others in the flock. Let us know how she gets along.

Viruses such as infectious bronchitis and others will usually run their course over weeks of time, the way humans handle colds and flu virus. They can be infectious to others for a few months. You may see others getting the symptoms, but eventually it will go away.

Viruses such as infectious bronchitis and others will usually run their course over weeks of time, the way humans handle colds and flu virus. They can be infectious to others for a few months. You may see others getting the symptoms, but eventually it will go away.
Okay, thank you. I assume if I see others getting sick then it's okay to put her back with the flock? She is bottom of pecking order and I worry if I keep her away too long, it will be really rough to mix her back in....I have a small flock of 6

Back
Top Bottom