Chicken Wheezing, panting and squeaking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicka Chicka, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Chicka Chicka

Chicka Chicka Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2016
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Please help. Our chicken is squeaking panting and wheezing and the temp is fairly cool. Has this happened to anyone else!? How did it end up?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Can you look into her throat to see if there is any blockage or yellow patches that shouldn't be there? Is she making a noise when she breathes in and out? Is there any sneezing, runny nose, or watery eyes? Sometimes they can get a piece of food into the airway partially blocking it, which makes a high pitched noise called stridor. It can clear up within a few hours, but if it doesn't, I would suspect a respiratory disease, especially with any other symptoms. Let us know about any other symptoms in case she needs antibiotics or other meds.

3. ForrestGump

ForrestGump Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2016
    Seattle
    Sadly we had an old hen that this happened to. It came on suddenly and she died over night. At first it seemed like an allergic reaction to something, but I'm not 100% sure. She could eat and drink, just had trouble breathing and would stretch her neck way out to get a breath. She was 5 years old, so it could have been cancer or something blocking her airway.

Does your chicken have any nasal discharge or a puffy face?

Definitely isolate her from the rest of the flock in case it is something contagious. Keep her in a warm quiet place so she can rest. Sick chickens should have at least 12 consecutive hours of sleep at night.

4. Chicka Chicka

Mar 8, 2016
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Thanks to both of you for responding and for the warm welcome to BYC! This morning it seemed to die away(the wheezing, not the chicken.) You can still hear it if you're close to her. The flock is very tight, but if it gets worse I'll separate her. Thanks also for the other tips. Again if it gets worse I'll check things out like her throat, and isolate her. Thank you so much.
    Chicks Chicka

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is good news. I have one hen who does that every once in awhile, and it clears up. She is a bit of a hog, LOL.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  6. ForrestGump

ForrestGump Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2016
    Seattle
    Is she OK now? I hope everything is fine.

7. Chicka Chicka

Mar 8, 2016
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    It's been around 3 months and the wheezing is still on and off. From my research if the chicken has the symptoms it could be bronchitis. (Which is really horrible) Or, it could be she just has somethings stuck in her windpipe.) After a bit we tried an old fashion solution. We picked her up, calmed her down and held her upside down by her legs and swung her back and forth, like they used to do to babies to get them to breath. After this she was pretty stressed, and acted dizzy. If anyone tries this note that your chicken may vomit. Since we've done this her wheezing is better. It still comes on and off, but she seems a lot healthier.
    Thanks Vickie at IFA for this solution!

Chicka Chicka

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by