Chicken wire in holes left my corrugated roofing

ray6082

Chirping
Aug 7, 2020
South Western PA
I recently purchased 5 more chickens (I got a surprise roo :idunno) in addition to my original 6 girls. Our original run was completely constructed out of hardware cloth and I have had no predator issues at all. Given that we got more chickens, we extended the chicken run. The extension is also all hardware cloth except for the roof. I learned the hard way that no solid roof makes for an extremely mucky, gross run in the winter. With that in mind, I wanted to put an actual roof so we used thick, gray corrugated plastic on the extension. Being the overprotective chicken mama that I am, I panicked and didn’t like how the corrugation left small openings. We used chicken wire to cover the holes and basically the whole underside of the roof. Two questions...do you feel that a raccoon would try to squeeze through where there is any give in the roof and if so do you think that attaching chicken wire thickly in those spots will deter them? I have motion detector lights, too. My boyfriend thinks I’m being paranoid, but I know how determined they can be. If a picture would help clarify, I can attach one. I had already spent so much money on our original setup that I didn’t think it was necessary to cover the roof with hardware cloth before the corrugated roofing.
Thank you for the help!

I have SeaCoaster panels for my run roof, I used the foam that fits the wave to fill the gaps. I did this mainly to deter mice. I wasn't concerned about anything else, like raccoons trying to rip it up. I do have a screw in every other low spot all around the ends for extra holding power, in case something tried to rip it up. My run is all 1/2" HWC and I don't have a problem.

Here are some photos. The hardware cloth goes as far as the waves in the roof, then the chicken wire reinforces. I know the CW might have just been in vain, but surely hoping not.

Attachments

• 01002519-B836-408D-AEF9-1C014FD94229.jpeg
    01002519-B836-408D-AEF9-1C014FD94229.jpeg
    531 KB · Views: 22
  • E393625A-7CD2-43E5-AF0F-CF30DDBC9659.jpeg
    E393625A-7CD2-43E5-AF0F-CF30DDBC9659.jpeg
    720 KB · Views: 23
  • F3222102-FDEE-47C9-872E-DDAA17D89CE5.jpeg
    F3222102-FDEE-47C9-872E-DDAA17D89CE5.jpeg
    507.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 32D9D5ED-A53E-4CFF-85A9-54BC3AEA3031.jpeg
    32D9D5ED-A53E-4CFF-85A9-54BC3AEA3031.jpeg
    556.2 KB · Views: 22
Here are some photos. The hardware cloth goes as far as the waves in the roof, then the chicken wire reinforces. I know the CW might have just been in vain, but surely hoping not.
I would run a board (2x4 or 2x2) along outside (or under) roof edge (waves), and fasten roof to it. I know you said you have chicken wire hover the gaps in roof, however, those areas still look accessible to me. I would not be comfortable with it. Just my 2 cents worth (and it might not be worth 2 cents). Better safe than sorry, and better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I agree. I left the coops open last night and was paranoid the whole time. It’ll be better to have peace of mind for sure. I figured a raccoon could easily squeeze in there...the large gaps at least

Does anyone have advice on this? The more I looked at the waves I don’t know if putting more wood would help at all...just gives the raccoon more wood to crawl through. Ugh!!! I’m so regretting not just doing the whole roof in hardware cloth first :((((

Back
Top Bottom