Chicken wire under coop?

Mmelissa

Hatching
May 17, 2017
Hi guys please forgive me if this is redundant but I've been getting mixed answers online when researching so I figured it would be best to ask myself. We just built our very first coop and instead of putting chicken wire around my husband attached chicken wire to some 2x4's and then set the coop on top of the 2x4's. the reason being he was worried of pests burrowing in from father away. This way nothing can come up under. Planing to put dirt or most likely sand after reading good things but was this ok to do? Will they still be able to scratch and get bugs with chicken wire underneath? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
(Pic posted doesn't have the roof on but it does in fact have a roof)

Attachments

• IMG_0605.JPG
    IMG_0605.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 308
Hi guys please forgive me if this is redundant but I've been getting mixed answers online when researching so I figured it would be best to ask myself. We just built our very first coop and instead of putting chicken wire around my husband attached chicken wire to some 2x4's and then set the coop on top of the 2x4's. the reason being he was worried of pests burrowing in from father away. This way nothing can come up under. Planing to put dirt or most likely sand after reading good things but was this ok to do? Will they still be able to scratch and get bugs with chicken wire underneath? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Sure the wire will stop them from scratching. But chicken wire will not last long on or in the ground anyway. I personally do not use wire on the ground in my many pens

Sure the wire will stop them from scratching. But chicken wire will not last long on or in the ground anyway. I personally do not use wire on the ground in my many pens
I'm still planning to cover the chicken wire with several inches of sand and it dirt. So they should still be able to scratch

I'm still planning to cover the chicken wire with several inches of sand and it dirt. So they should still be able to scratch
Only a little. But like I said----"chicken wire" want last long on or in the soil----unless it stays dry. The pen you showing in the pic----would be nice if it moved like a chicken tractor. I personally Love my chicken tractors.

to keep tunnelers out i tap-con'ed in some galvanized hardware cloth into the concrete footer, then like mrsteamychicken, piled aggregate on top of that, sand on top of that, and finally finished it off with a very thick layer of composted grass and leaves which i change out once a month.

if'n i was gonna do it again, i'd have left out the rocks and the sand and just gone with the composted stuff.

worked great, and attached are some pictures:

best of luck.

Thank you so much for the pics and info. I guess I actually called what we used chicken wires when in fact it's what you used. Galvanized hardware cloth. I'll try what you suggested on top of it and hope for the best. Worse case if it doesn't seem to be working we can always cut it off and do a parameter around the edges. We live in area full of wild life and wanted to keep our girls as safe as possible. We felt they were safest with the store being underneath the coop that way nothing could get in.

What do you use to keep pests from digging under?
to keep tunnelers out i tap-con'ed in some galvanized hardware cloth into the concrete footer, then like mrsteamychicken, piled aggregate on top of that, sand on top of that, and finally finished it off with a very thick layer of composted grass and leaves which i change out once a month.

if'n i was gonna do it again, i'd have left out the rocks and the sand and just gone with the composted stuff.

best of luck.
thank
My chickens can dig holes a good 8" deep. The wire can cause foot injuries, especially after it inevitably starts to rust and break apart.

Better to put the anti digging mesh (against predators) on the outside of the run walls....here's pretty good example http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528

best of luck.
My chickens can dig holes a good 8" deep. The wire can cause foot injuries, especially after it inevitably starts to rust and break apart.

Better to put the anti digging mesh (against predators) on the outside of the run walls....here's pretty good example http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528

best of luck.

i regret putting the aggregate rock on down as a base layer on top of the mesh. and i wish i hadn't put sand in there either. in fact i dug out about 1/3 of the sand before putting the composted leaves/grass clippings in there.

instead, i should have put down something else...like big flat flagstones, hardy-plank boards or some other sort of concrete siding/board, bricks, even plywood...anything that would not work it's way to the surface as the chigguns dig.

ironically there is half a pallet of flagstone sitting in the side yard not being used...doh!

now i (and by "i" i mean the kids) have to go around and pick out the white rocks before i shovel/change out the compost. if i don't, then i'll have rocks in my compost pile which i don't want.

good luck, and please post up some pictures of your setup. erbody likes looking at pictures!!!

the other thing you could do to keep pets from digging is put an electric livestock wire around the base of the coop. a little jolt would likely fix the problem, but then there's the issue of the birds bumping it...

That’s hardware cloth, if you put part fine mulch with loose dirt & little sand in a tire or tub for them to do their dirt baths... Plus, being its closed in, be prepared to refill the bath regularly... 😆 The ladies like their baths & they splash a lot of dirt out - it’s hysterical but can be scary if you’ve never seen one doing it... They look like they are dying, their legs laying one way & wings flopping in another... Then they lay there enjoying it until someone jumps with her... Someone always uses up all the dirt... 😁
I think it looks great but you could have saved some time by making a little extra to bury so that will stop critters from digging in or under!
Everyone has their way of doing things and I’m not sure if any are wrong if it works for you & your chickens, that’s what matters...

I love it, Nice looking coop for the ladies! 😁

Back
Top Bottom