Chicken wire....why will it not go past 50 in??????????????????????

k2chickens

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
New Castle, Indiana
Im at the stage now where i need to put wire all around my run to finish it. But i can only find it 50in by 150in. We did the math and i need about 60 in by 220 in. I was told to get hardwear cloth over chicken wire, but i CANNOT find hardwear cloth ANYWHERE!!! Especially in the size i need. I mean will i have to combine sheet's of chicken wire together to make the size i need? If so...how in the heck do you do that??????

They make twist tie in a spool, it's what I use. None of our run is a solid piece of chicken wire. I wouldn't use hardware cloth unless you have the money to spend, it's pricey. We actually bought 2" welded wire fence for the run and attached the chicken wire to the lower portion to keep day predators out and they are locked in the coop at night. Hope this helps!

Quote:
Something may have gotten lost in the translation, as there is not a lot of point IMO in putting hardware cloth over *chickenwire*. I'd suggest getting 60" 2x4" welded wire mesh, or 1x1" welded wire mesh if you want to spend more, and putting the hardware cloth over the bottom couple feet of *that*. It will be a lot stronger than if you'd used chickenwire.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I used "Poultry Fencing" which is the fancy new way of saying chicken wire..... and it works great, no need for super expensive stuff

Quote:
Something may have gotten lost in the translation, as there is not a lot of point IMO in putting hardware cloth over *chickenwire*. I'd suggest getting 60" 2x4" welded wire mesh, or 1x1" welded wire mesh if you want to spend more, and putting the hardware cloth over the bottom couple feet of *that*. It will be a lot stronger than if you'd used chickenwire.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I think she's saying she was told to get hardwear cloth instead of chicken wire. It's a southern phrasing.

Quote:
I agree, however, my hubbie and I take 3-day weekends and have no one to watch our girls while we're gone, thus, the use of 1/2" hardware cloth EVERYWHERE to prevent or at least slow down the raccoons and other critters. Here in the Texas heat of summer, I plan on leaving the pop door open to the run and there isn't anything top to bottom in the coop or run that's over 1/2" wide. It was ridiculously expensive and if i hadn't been in such a hurry would probably have used the larger wire and added the h/ware cloth as I could afford it...lessons learned! Purchased it at both Lowe's and Home Depot.

The breeder I purchased my chicks from used poultry wire, but she also had electric lines all over the place and I didn't want that. Ultimately, you have to choose what works best for your budget and needs. Good luck!

Quote:
twist tie???

welded wire mesh?? what are these??

I just don't see how i can take 2 pieces of "poultry wire" and fix them together?? Unless i take this "twist tie" stuff and fix "every hole" together???

There any way you can take a pic of the seam point where the two pieces of wire meet eachother so i know what im shooting for???

Thanks kat

try looking online or asking your feed store to specail order it if you need to. my store can get chicken wire 1" or 2" all the way up to 72"x150' we just dont always keep it in stock. most ppl buy 50'rolls .

Quote:
twist tie???

welded wire mesh?? what are these??

I just don't see how i can take 2 pieces of "poultry wire" and fix them together?? Unless i take this "twist tie" stuff and fix "every hole" together???

There any way you can take a pic of the seam point where the two pieces of wire meet eachother so i know what im shooting for???

Thanks kat

I don't tie every hole. I take a lond piece and kind of weave it together. I will take a pic tomorrow and show you.

The welded wire fencing and twist tie stuff are at Lowes and Menards. It will all make sense when you see what I am talking about. The twist tie stuff is heavy duty also, not like bread ties or something.

Back
Top Bottom