Chicken with a broken leg

Can you get a clearer photo of the leg and joint?

Hard to tell the colors in the photos, look to see if the leg has green bruising.

What symptoms? You've lost birds over the course of a few days...
Throwing up - that's a digestive issue. What do you feed?
Any chance the birds ate moldy feed, compost, something dead/rotten?
Look for lice/mites as well.
If you lose another, then sending a body to your state vet will give you information about the cause and what, if any treatment or corrections that can be made.

For some reason I can’t post a video.

Attachments

• IMG_3695.png
    IMG_3695.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3696.png
    IMG_3696.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 6
If you lose another, then sending a body to your state vet will give you information about the cause and what, if any treatment or corrections that can be made.

They are all vaccinated. We have now lost 6 birds roughly one a day. It is the bird flue. They are showing signs like the purple comb and the twisted neck. According to the research I’ve done there are two strains, the first strain is the deadliest and you’ll lose your whole flock in 48 hours. The second strain is less lethal, and if they survive two weeks, then their chances of long-term survival are much better. I will take a video and post it of the other chicken, she is in a different coop, so I need to change clothes and shower before I go back to that coop.

Throwing up, purple, combs, twisted neck, flailing, diarrhea, and death

We are treating them for a foot fungus that came in with some birds that I inherited.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRoYSXjg/

Video of the broken leg. No bruising but it is definitely broken according to the vet.
Has the vet diagnosed Avian Flu? That's a very serious disease and one that vets and states do not take lightly. Protocol would be they come out and depopulate you.

Getting some testing would be a wise thing to do.

Check your feed to make sure it's not moldy or gone bad. Check crops to make sure they are emptying.

If the vet says the leg is broken, then did they not splint or recommend that you splint the leg for it to heal properly?

What foot fungus? And how are you treating it?

Sounds like you have multiple things going on. Sometimes it may be a good idea to cull all the sick, clean well. Monitor remaining birds, if they all remain healthy for a time, then repopulate with healthy chicks from a well known large hatchery.

Has the vet diagnosed Avian Flu? That's a very serious disease and one that vets and states do not take lightly. Protocol would be they come out and depopulate you.
We sent a body to Ithaca Cornell this morning.
Getting some testing would be a wise thing to do.

Check your feed to make sure it's not moldy or gone bad. Check crops to make sure they are emptying.
The feed is not moldy and we have contacted the producers to see if there are any other issues. None reported as of this past Friday.
If the vet says the leg is broken, then did they not splint or recommend that you splint the leg for it to heal properly?
It is now splinter and she is doing well.
What foot fungus? And how are you treating it?
Mites according to the vet. Prescription anti fungal spray.
Sounds like you have multiple things going on. Sometimes it may be a good idea to cull all the sick, clean well. Monitor remaining birds, if they all remain healthy for a time, then repopulate with healthy chicks from a well known large hatchery.
We have quarantined the sick ones and are adding antibiotics to the waters for all 3 coops along with vitamin b complex. We decontaminate the coop and run daily with bleach spray. No deaths for about 48 hours and all but the quarantined one seem to be doing better with the foot issues resolving.
We have 28, four week old chicks in a different coop on a separate part of the property, and nine 12-14 week olds in a separate chicken tractor away from the coop with the older birds.
In January we ordered 60 meat birds that are due to be delivered tomorrow. No stopping that at this point so we are housing them on the other side of the property away from our new egg layers.
All precautions have been taken and we are praying that this is a random something or a low level infection.

Last edited:
Did they recommend medication?

Corid (Amprolium), Sulfa antibiotics and Toltrazuril can all be used to treat Coccidiosis.
Corid. We are putting it in the watering system and the one who was quarantined got a direct dose, she is still lethargic and not eating, but it may be too advanced. No other deaths and everyone seems to be healthy. They have increased egg laying to about 3 eggs a day, and still getting my Guinea eggs . So maybe we will see them all begin to lay again.

Back
Top Bottom