Chicken with a hard time breathing

newchickenlady7

In the Brooder
May 30, 2021
Hello,
I have a hen named Ms P and she is quite sick. About 2 days ago I noticed she wasn’t acting herself and wasn’t feeling well. I’d suspected she was getting the same thing another of my sick chicken had so I put her on Corid. She didn’t respond to the Corid but progressed quite fast and would just stand in the corner with her beck open breathing with her whole body. She shakes her head a ton and has labored breathing. Her appetite and drinking has decreased and she hasn’t laid any eggs in a few days. I’ve been using VetRx on her and if it’s doing anything I can’t tell. She tends to only eat a little bit at a time but drinks a lot when she does make it to the waterer. Her comb has fallen but is red. She also makes a kind of coughing sound which is why I thought it was respiratory.
I’m hoping someone could help me out. Thanks

Attachments

• A813EED4-E65A-475C-B2E4-BD0232255880.jpeg
    A813EED4-E65A-475C-B2E4-BD0232255880.jpeg
    783.2 KB · Views: 30
Well this could be a number of problems, she could have a bacterial, viral, or fungal infection, hope for bacterial, they’re usually the easier ones to treat.
She could also have parasites.
I wish I was more help, but without testing it’s hard to say.

Have you noticed aby other symptoms? Do her droppings seem abnormal?

Well this could be a number of problems, she could have a bacterial, viral, or fungal infection, hope for bacterial, they’re usually the easier ones to treat.
She could also have parasites.
I wish I was more help, but without testing it’s hard to say.

Have you noticed aby other symptoms? Do her droppings seem abnormal?
Thanks for the input. Her droppings are normal. I do notice that her neck appears to be swollen more than usual. Especially between her wattles

Last edited:
Would the symptoms be similar to what she has?
Yeah, if an egg breaks internally it can cause a serious infection, unfortunatly they can be fatal if they aren’t treated with antibiotics, another concern is egg yolk peritonitis, which causes ascites, if she has that yolk notice fluid starting to accumulate in the abdomen, like water belly.
Don’t worry about the dropping, once it’s in the grass it’s gone, it’s happened to me when I’m trying to get a picture for diagnosis too.

Back
Top Bottom