Chicken with an injured leg

perke

In the Brooder
May 15, 2020
I have a chick that I'm assuming hurt her leg when a roosting bar somehow fell. Her gift leg was swollen and red for a day. We felt everywhere for a break or fracture but didn't feel anything. It's now a week later, and there is no more redness or swelling but she's still limping really bad. I put her in our "infirmary" and added some riboflavin and other vitamins to her water. I have noticed that now that she's in the infirmary she's not walking at all. Kinda plops down on the food dish and reaches for the water. Is there something else I should be doing or giving her? Is there a different diagnosis that I could be missing? A completely worse diagnosis I didn't even think of? Or I'm doing the right thing and it takes time? Which I read it can take like 2 weeks for a bone to heal with chickens. Thank you!

I have a chick that I'm assuming hurt her leg when a roosting bar somehow fell. Her gift leg was swollen and red for a day. We felt everywhere for a break or fracture but didn't feel anything. It's now a week later, and there is no more redness or swelling but she's still limping really bad. I put her in our "infirmary" and added some riboflavin and other vitamins to her water. I have noticed that now that she's in the infirmary she's not walking at all. Kinda plops down on the food dish and reaches for the water. Is there something else I should be doing or giving her? Is there a different diagnosis that I could be missing? A completely worse diagnosis I didn't even think of? Or I'm doing the right thing and it takes time? Which I read it can take like 2 weeks for a bone to heal with chickens. Thank you!

I had a year old White Leghorn who caught her foot and leg in a wire dog cage. Could not stand up at all. Just laid under the roosts. I would pick her up, and feed her in a nest box to keep the others away. Took 2 weeks for her to start walking. Then she started getting up on the low roost. I took her down the first few nights as I didn't want her to reinsure that leg jumping down in the morning. This happened on August 11th . She has been back in with the flock since the middle of September. She'll get better. Just make sure she has access to clean water and her feed. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom