Chicken with bad eyesight

Dec 23, 2020
Washington, PNW
Hello! My Sapphire Gem, Tallulah, has eyesight issues (I think). She has trouble seeing BOSS if they are not in my hand, and food.

She eats really funny when she sees the food though. She doesn't lift her head up very much between pecks, and kinda slides her beak in the food. She also has trouble eating the pellets, because she is bad at opening her beak that wide.

Tallulah also tends to stare into the distance. Other than that, she is fine. She lays eggs, roosts, and is not lethargic. Oh, she also hasn't dustbathed yet in this winter, but she did in summer.

She has always eaten like this. I am wondering if she just is far sighted, the equivalent to someone needing reading glasses. Obviously, if it's that, there's not much I can do, but feel free to drop your opinions in the comments! Thank you in advance!

Do you have any pictures of her eyes? Try a couple of things to test her eyesight. Like in the distance, have somebody be kicking a ball and see if she watches. Then, have them gently kick the ball towards her and watch her reaction. Slowly try touching her comb just above each eye doing it one side at a time. Watch her reaction. Try swooping something over her head, and again, watch her reaction. You might want to try all of these things several times to get an accurate answer.
As far as the way she eats, I had a hen who never drank a day in her life. It was the weirdest thing. She would eat her water, but not drink it. She'd just plop her head down into the water and eat it as if it was food. And her eyesight was perfectly fine. Some birds just do things differently than others.

Do you have any pictures of her eyes? Try a couple of things to test her eyesight. Like in the distance, have somebody be kicking a ball and see if she watches. Then, have them gently kick the ball towards her and watch her reaction. Slowly try touching her comb just above each eye doing it one side at a time. Watch her reaction. Try swooping something over her head, and again, watch her reaction. You might want to try all of these things several times to get an accurate answer.
As far as the way she eats, I had a hen who never drank a day in her life. It was the weirdest thing. She would eat her water, but not drink it. She'd just plop her head down into the water and eat it as if it was food. And her eyesight was perfectly fine. Some birds just do things differently than others.
Thank you! I will try to do these tests tomorrow in the daylight. That sounds like a very funny chicken you had!

The same chicken of mine started "eating" water a couple days ago! It's pretty funny to watch.

Back
Top Bottom