Chicken with bad leg- help!

Luckyslushy

In the Brooder
Nov 2, 2020
Hi!
so 1 month ago my chicken broke her leg. She’s been splinted a few times but the vet today said it’s not looking good. It’s not healing right and she’s not using her foot. She thinks the leg is not going to function. I have to decide if I should put her down. I love my chicken so much! I’m curious if anybody has chickens with a bum- leg? I was looking into making her a wheelchair but not sure how well she would get around the yard in it. She’s hopping around and putting a little weight on the splinted leg but the vet says she can’t keep that up long term because it will cause issues with her good leg. I don’t want her to have a poor quality of life. Just curious if anybody has suggestions before I make a decision. The wheelchairs I looked at online seem to be for rehab- for my chicken it would have to be a more permanent solution. Ugh this is horrible

Attachments

• 7D02EF5D-A011-4D58-A0DC-02F371375EEF.jpeg
    7D02EF5D-A011-4D58-A0DC-02F371375EEF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • B7F68C32-3786-40CC-8A12-C6A9FC3FCD94.jpeg
    B7F68C32-3786-40CC-8A12-C6A9FC3FCD94.jpeg
    307.8 KB · Views: 9
There’s a thread on here about a chicken that lost her feet to frostbite. https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/24221957
It’s interesting to see and a good learning experience. But I believe I’ve seen things about house chickens living with only one leg. I’m not sure if her leg can be amputated but it might be worth the ask.
Thanks we decided to put her down. I think her quality of life would have been poor and the vet was concerned about arthritis/bumble foot on her good leg. Another chicken already gives her a hard time and pecks at her. I can’t keep her inside - we have our hands full with a wild puppy who wants to play with the chickens. So sad. We loved that girl

Hi!
so 1 month ago my chicken broke her leg. She’s been splinted a few times but the vet today said it’s not looking good. It’s not healing right and she’s not using her foot. She thinks the leg is not going to function. I have to decide if I should put her down. I love my chicken so much! I’m curious if anybody has chickens with a bum- leg? I was looking into making her a wheelchair but not sure how well she would get around the yard in it. She’s hopping around and putting a little weight on the splinted leg but the vet says she can’t keep that up long term because it will cause issues with her good leg. I don’t want her to have a poor quality of life. Just curious if anybody has suggestions before I make a decision. The wheelchairs I looked at online seem to be for rehab- for my chicken it would have to be a more permanent solution. Ugh this is horrible
You sound Like me. Two weeks ago I think I broke my little girl's (12 weeks) leg picking her up by her feet. I wasn't rough and she wasn't freaking out but when I put her down her leg was flopping around. I wrapped it but she picked it off. Now she's limping. I think I'm going to call a vet tomorrow. I feel awful. I'll let you know what the doctor tells me.

Back
Top Bottom