1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken with badly infected bumblefoot!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dog-Crazy Farm, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Dog-Crazy Farm

Dog-Crazy Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2013
    Okay so I had a different thread going, but I stopped getting replies, and I really need help. My California Grey hen, Lilac, has had bumblefoot off and on in her one foot for a while, every time I get rid of it, it comes back a month later, well, this time it got infected like overnight. The foot seems kinda dead. Like its black and the scales are falling off and she doesn't move her toes, just keeps it tucked up against her. I have her inside, in a carrier, but she won't eat regular pellet food, just watery oatmeal, which I guess is good because she won't drink. She also keeps panting all the time, but she still seems strong. Per suggestions on backyard chickens I have been putting sovereign silver, and neosporin on it. Soaking it in epsom salts, and I bought some amoxicillin from first state vet supply, which someone on here suggested. It also smells really bad like infection. Nothing seems to help, though. Please, I am really at a loss....any suggestions???

2. GuppyTJ

GuppyTJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    Wow, you're doing all the right things as far as I know. Is a vet an option? Bumblefoot is caused by a staph infection getting into a cut on the foot so perhaps a vet, even one who is not an expert on chickens, might be able to help. This is the only thing I can think of but hopefully, others will have additional advice, things you haven't tried.

Best of luck to you,
    Guppy

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  3. Angelicisi

Angelicisi Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2013
    Baton Rouge area
    My Coop
  4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    You need a vet asap,not good that she is panting. She will become dehydrated very fast if not drinking water. This is one extremely ill chicken,you really need a vet asap. She is probably in pain.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by