Chicken with balding breast and reddening skin?

The WinterWolf

Crowing
Apr 12, 2021
Northern CA
Originally, i thought she was molting, because she had bald patches, and then my mom thought it was a brood patch, but then her skin turned red when it's supposed to be a yellowish white. does anybody know what this is or how to treat this? she's pretty high on the pecking order and she doesn't really get picked on so i don't know what's going on.
20220618_204420.jpg
20220618_204425.jpg

Originally, i thought she was molting, because she had bald patches, and then my mom thought it was a brood patch, but then her skin turned red when it's supposed to be a yellowish white. does anybody know what this is or how to treat this? she's pretty high on the pecking order and she doesn't really get picked on so i don't know what's going on. View attachment 3154293View attachment 3154294
her feathers also feel spiky like they are torn.

She's 14 months old and lays most of my eggs. she's never seen a rooster before.
I am watching and curious about this too. My top hen has a bald and reddened chest also. No other symptoms , no rooster, not bothered by it, she's 19 months old. She's an isa brown I figured I would just wait till she molted this fall. Her tail is raggety looking too.

Mites usually only feed at night. In the daytime, they will hide in the coop/roost. A few of my hens had mites and they lost feathers on their back and near their vent area. Diotimatious earth worked well for me. Is your hen broody?

I am watching and curious about this too. My top hen has a bald and reddened chest also. No other symptoms , no rooster, not bothered by it, she's 19 months old. She's an isa brown I figured I would just wait till she molted this fall. Her tail is raggety looking too.
Junie also has a funny looking tail! She has one tall tail feather and a bunch of out of place little tail feathers. now mom thinks she is still stressed from where German shepherds came into our yard and tore up our chickens. She was outside the pen when they were here, but later when she showed up she was untouched. That also doesn't explain the Reddening. Has your chicken made any improvement?
Mites usually only feed at night. In the daytime, they will hide in the coop/roost. A few of my hens had mites and they lost feathers on their back and near their vent area. Diotimatious earth worked well for me. Is your hen broody?
No, she has never been broody. All the other chickens aren't missing any feathers except her. Only Ash. But her feathers were ripped out.

Back
Top Bottom