Chicken with beak rot Help!? Possible Canker??

Little is Much

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 5, 2013
O.K. so a month almost two month ago, my Buff Orpington's beak started rotting. We searched everywhere and tries everything, but we still could not find anything online or in books. We ended up having to put her down since she couldn't eat and it smelled like she was rotting from inside. Gross I know. Anyway we thought that since she was old, like six or seven years that maybe it was a tumor or something. Today I picked up my favorite Bantam Millie Fleur hen and I realized she is starting to get that on her beak too. Please help I don't want to loose her too. It is on the right side of the beak close to her face. It is still small and pink and white. My Buff's turned black and her beak started rotting off on the one side and her face was swollen. I don't know what to do. Please help. If pictures would help I could load some of my Bantam, but I don't have any of my Buff. Thanks
-Stormy

p.s. I just did more research and it looks like it could be canker, but it's not yellow and it is only in her mouth nowhere else. What is that and how do I get rid of it and prevent it.

Last edited:
O.K. so a month almost two month ago, my Buff Orpington's beak started rotting. We searched everywhere and tries everything, but we still could not find anything online or in books. We ended up having to put her down since she couldn't eat and it smelled like she was rotting from inside. Gross I know. Anyway we thought that since she was old, like six or seven years that maybe it was a tumor or something. Today I picked up my favorite Bantam Millie Fleur hen and I realized she is starting to get that on her beak too. Please help I don't want to loose her too. It is on the right side of the beak close to her face. It is still small and pink and white. My Buff's turned black and her beak started rotting off on the one side and her face was swollen. I don't know what to do. Please help. If pictures would help I could load some of my Bantam, but I don't have any of my Buff. Thanks
-Stormy

p.s. I just did more research and it looks like it could be canker, but it's not yellow and it is only in her mouth nowhere else. What is that and how do I get rid of it and prevent it.
Not sure,could be from an injury and now she has an infection, or beak necrosis. I do not know a lot about beak necrosis,but condition does exist,look it up and see if symptoms match.

Welcome to BYC!

If it is canker, you'll need to get some metronidazole which you can buy online as fish-zole. The AAAP Avian Disease Manual says that treatment is 30mg/kg for five days, but some people here will tell you to give a chicken the whole 250mg tablet.

-Kathy

6DAEDCE9-A558-4BF2-A55B-E3B4433BBF67.jpeg Any updates on this? I lost four chicks to this, whatever it is. I put them on medicated feed (amprolium), and added doxycycline to their water until the metronidazole I ordered comes in.

I’d really like to know what this is and how to make sure to get rid of it in the brooder coop and run to make certain that other birds don’t get this.

Attachments

• 91721DBA-8F25-48C4-8576-FC29FDCE7518.jpeg
    91721DBA-8F25-48C4-8576-FC29FDCE7518.jpeg
    565.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 669D8BB9-B916-44FD-8864-3B560A463A76.jpeg
    669D8BB9-B916-44FD-8864-3B560A463A76.jpeg
    345.7 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom