Chicken with broken... TOE?

CochinBrahmaLover

Girl, I'm FABulous
8 Years
Dec 29, 2011
Warm.... Under a blanket... In Alaska...
OK so our hen who went broody (a chick has 2 moms now thanks to her going broody, lol) recently started limping. We thought it might heal on up, but it hasn't. So we examained her foot and found one of her toes very crooked. So I felt it and gaaaaaah..... It was very.... squishy. Anyone ever felt a bird toe,like, a hunted bird when it has a broken whatever? ya, it felt like that.
Its at the very end of of her toe but its obviously causing enough pain for her to limp soooo...... Anyone have any ideas? I have wraps from when I had surgeory but they are very large so it'd be way to big. My mom has some of that 'scarring tape' or whatever not- so-sticky tape I could wrap around her toe firmly but not sure if it'd work.

What should I do, can anyone help?

THANKS

(BTW, shes near my feet and givng me a broody sneak eye as she uses my blankets and legs as a nest.... LOL)

Hi, I've heard that nutritional deficiency of riboflavin can cause chicken toes curled. Maybe you can do some research on this.good luck.

Hi, I've heard that nutritional deficiency of riboflavin can cause chicken toes curled. Maybe you can do some research on this.good luck.
Not sure. Her toes have always been a bit curled but all the chickens here are like that - We buy them as laying hens and they are always not very well kept. Appearantly not everyone free ranges there chickens and spoils them to death, lol.

I doubt its a deficiency, but we've been feeding them (not medicated) chick feed because they haven't been laying and we haven't been able to get chicken food

What are you feeding your bird
How much and how often
what type of bird is it
how much does it weigh
Add ACV to drinking water
Nature wise Chick starter, unmedicated (they stopped laying so feeding them layer food seemed useless, since we ran out, we'll be switching them back to lay once we run out of chick starter, but I kinda doubt they'll start laying again....)
A lot and always
RIR mix, too light for a RIR, too thin for a production.

Don't got it.

Gonna go weigh her

Apple Cider Vinegar is a great product to have on hand when you have poultry. Your queen will appreciate the gesture.
We should have it I know
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom