Chicken with brown scabby nose and swelling?

Luckieyes

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2020
Delaware
This week we noticed our 18 week old buff lace polish pullet, Ethel, had a brown crusty scab-like on her nose and some swelling. No other chickens in our flock have it. She is eating, drinking, and behaving normally.

I've attached some photos of her nose and eye.
Screenshot_20200826-195624_Facebook.jpg
received_2938494529588807.jpeg
received_597979627542326.jpeg

Can anyone help identify what is wrong, and how to treat it or if we need to go to a vet?

It looks a little like she might have injured it by sticking her beak through some metal fencing. Do you see any individual scabs as one might see with fowl pox? I might paint some betadine or dab some antibiotic ointment on it.

It looks a little like she might have injured it by sticking her beak through some metal fencing. Do you see any individual scabs as one might see with fowl pox? I might paint some betadine or dab some antibiotic ointment on it.
Hmm, now that you mention that it does seem very likely. She like to shove her head places, under our arm, under the feed pipes, etc. I don't see any individual scabs, it just looks like one big sore. I will have to try out some antibiotic and see if she impoves.

Back
Top Bottom