1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken with diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by statichicken, Apr 19, 2009.

1. statichicken

statichicken New Egg

Apr 19, 2009
    I have 4 barred plymouth rock chickens. They are almost two months old, and one of them has had diarrhea for the past two days. The color has changed from black to brown to green, but I know it's the same chicken (I've been watching). I figured the green may have been because she was eating grass, but I can't figure out the black and brown. All any of them have been eating is starter feed and grass. I gave them a LITTLE bit of wheat bread a few days ago because I ran out of feed for one morning. I've been waiting to see if the diarrhea would just go away, but nothing seems to be happening. I really don't know how to take care of a sick chicken, and I really need help! Thank you so much!

2. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

I will bump this up, so someone else can pitch in. My two cents worth is, runny stools can be normal. Are they acting normal otherwise?

3. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    I have some good information on green diarrhea
    and brown diarreah
    PM me and I will email it to you
    so it doesn't take up so much space
    it is important to treat it now
    generally that takes about 4 days and they are gone

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  4. statichicken

statichicken New Egg

Apr 19, 2009
    Yeah, they're acting normal. None of the other chickens have had diarrhea, and they've all been exposed to the exact same things. I haven't given them any sort of medication or anything; are there like vaccinations for chickens? I'm a rookie. These are my first chickens ever.

5. norcal

norcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Northern California
    Hi,
    I have a similar question.
    I have 9 BR's and one of them has diarrhea and I don't know which one it is? Plus, I can't tell them apart. [​IMG]

It's been a few weeks, which is concerning me. I do have one hen that is smaller, should I tag her leg, and watch her??

btw, I don't know anything about banding/tagging them?? Anyone?

-Laurie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by