Chicken with Egg Laying Problems

Laying hens stop laying when the total daylight reaches less than ten hours. I'm talking about respiratory symptoms such as lethargy, drippy nares, sneezing, etc. A certain CRD can lie dormant in the cells and still affect egg laying, usually causing weird looking shells. It might also affect ovulation. It's something to have the vet check out. There's a test for Mycoplasma synoviae. Any recollection of symptoms like that?

Laying hens stop laying when the total daylight reaches less than ten hours. I'm talking about respiratory symptoms such as lethargy, drippy nares, sneezing, etc. A certain CRD can lie dormant in the cells and still affect egg laying, usually causing weird looking shells. It might also affect ovulation. It's something to have the vet check out. There's a test for Mycoplasma synoviae. Any recollection of symptoms like that?
no respiratory symptoms. She only acts puffy and lethargic on the day she works on getting all those egg masses out; every other day she behaves as she always does and egg songs for the flock. She had one incidence of a funny bright green mucus poo a month and a half ago, but I saw it only once on the droppings tray and it never recurred.

Went to the vet. Vet still thinks it's likely dietary. Told us to monitor for now and add extra calcium as needed, because she looks healthy and he feels nothing wrong with her belly/crop, no stuck eggs, nothing. He also told us that it could take a little more time for her system to stabilize again.

Lo and behold, we brought her home, she ran to the nest box and immediately laid a perfect egg. She's been scaring the bejeezus out of us but I'm so glad her egg looked beautiful today!

Attachments

• prettyegg.jpg
    prettyegg.jpg
    668.7 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom