Chicken with eye infection

lionnamedari

Hatching
Nov 2, 2021
Illinois
One of my chickens has an eye infection. I first noticed the infection in June, but I didn't know what it was at the time because she wasn't exhibiting much for symptoms, so I didn't think much of it. Unsure what the cause is, my other chickens seem okay though. First pic is from today, second is from June 11th. Even though she does have impaired vision, she doesn't seem to have much trouble moving around, eating, or drinking. I can't afford much for treatment, so if I could get some suggestions for at home treatments that would be very appreciated.

Attachments

• image_2021-11-02_163602.png
    image_2021-11-02_163602.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 3
  • image_2021-11-02_163738.png
    image_2021-11-02_163738.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 3

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
What does her other eye look like? Is it swollen as well. When pus from infection remain in the eye for a long period, the eye can be destroyed. Was there any cough, sneeze, or trouble breathing with the eye infection? You may want to use a warm wet washcloth held on the eye as a compress for a few minutes, or flush with some saline to soften the crust. Then take QTips and tissues to clean out the gunk and press around the eyelid to get more out. Terramycin eye ointment if you can get it at a feed store, or plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment may be applied twice daily to the eye.

lionnamedari

Hatching
Nov 2, 2021
Illinois
What does her other eye look like? Is it swollen as well. When pus from infection remain in the eye for a long period, the eye can be destroyed. Was there any cough, sneeze, or trouble breathing with the eye infection? You may want to use a warm wet washcloth held on the eye as a compress for a few minutes, or flush with some saline to soften the crust. Then take QTips and tissues to clean out the gunk and press around the eyelid to get more out. Terramycin eye ointment if you can get it at a feed store, or plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment may be applied twice daily to the eye.
Other eye is completely fine, and no sneezing, coughing, or trouble breathing that I've noticed. I'll start some of the treatment you recommended, thank you.

Top Bottom