1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken with faeces on tail and loosing feathers around her bottom

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Alli B, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Alli B

Alli B New Egg

Jan 6, 2012
    We Got our 3 chickens nearly a year ago, but one has stopped laying and one has white faeces around her tail feathers and has now started to loose all feathers round her bottom. cant feel that she is egg bound, just wondered if it was parasites? She is eating and she is drinking loads, but isnt as happy as her mates!

Anyone any ideas please?

2. ashleym

ashleym Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    oregon
    palpatate her to make shure there isnt an egg stuck,check for mites around the flesh part of her bottom
    might want to call around to sum vets and get some ideas good luck hope she feels better soon

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    She needs a warm bath to remove the poo and you have to inspect her bum for parasites. Look at the base of the feathers for eggs and bugs.

4. Tambo26

Tambo26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Orrington, MAINE
    My girl Pip has had runny poo the last two weeks and has been building up a poo clump on her bum. I noticed that one of the other girls was picking at Pips poopy feathers the other day so lastnight I took her in the house and gave her a bum bath. (she liked the washing and the blow drier) I noticed that Pip was missing some bum feathers. I hope your chicks ok![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by