Chicken with gaping wound on back

logansmommy7

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
Shenandoah Valley
Ok..so I just went to check for eggs and one of my red sex links was on the nest. Ever since I got her, she was missing lots of feathers on her back but since we got her, the down was starting to grow back in I thought. Today, she has what looks like a gaping skin lesion on her back. It isn't bleeding, but I'm not sure what to do. Is there medicine I can put on this to keep flies away, and also to heal? I know we have a spray that we are putting on our calves who were castrated a few weeks ago....any suggestions??

The feed store should carry No-Peck or some other brand. It has medication for healing wounds and the other chickens don't like the taste. It's worked great for me. Just a heads up.... It will die the feathers a purple color. No problem but it will stay for a long time. It can help to identify the chicks too. Good Luck

oh my ... it IS the season (for flies) DONT TAKE ANY CHANCES (maggots!) ... separate her till totally healed (and dont depend on any of those products to keeps the other birds from pecking her > they usually dont work)

Back
Top Bottom