Chicken with huge patch of skin missing on back of neck

Skcup

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
I'm cross-posting an edited down version of the story from the predator's board because I'd like to get some treatment advice.....

Last night I went out to check on the chickens and found one of my young pullets missing. [Snip]

I found the little lost pullet on the wrong side of the fence (she'd clearly crawled through the hole); she's got a huge wound on the back of her neck - the skin is COMPLETELY gone. Like you can see her "chicken neck" like what you get from the store. It's a big area, maybe 2.5 inches long and 2 inches wide that's missing the skin. It's not torn, it's GONE.

She seems fine and is moving around normally, eating and drinking. I pulled her out when I found her and put her in a stall by herself to heal.

[snip]

As for treatment, I've sprayed the wound with Blue Kote, seperated her and she seems to be doing fine but we'll see. It's a hell of an injury, poor thing! Anything else I should do?

There's no way I can close the wound since the skin is completely gone. She's not in shock, though she may have been earlier since I don't know how long ago it happened.

Do I need to give oral antibiotics? Anything else I can do for the poor thing?

I packed my girls neck with neosporin, seperated her with her best friend while it healed- but she stil had skin, i would go ahead and give her oral antibiotics to be on the safe side- is it still bleeding, wonder if a bandage might be a good idea?

my girl got caught in chicken wire and it looked like someone tried to filet her neck- so your girl sounds like the feathers and skin are gone? give her extra protien too to help her heal, keep a close watch on it- they are very resilliant!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom