Chicken with hurt leg

A few months back one of our hens showed the same symptoms. We isolated her in a cozy cage in the garage so she could stay off of her foot and she was better in a week. I just had to put another younger hen in isolation today for the same thing. Maybe we need a thicker layer of straw and shavings on the floor of the coop. The only side effect from the first hen is that she now thinks we are best friends. If I leave the kitchen door open she comes right into the house. :)

I have a hen who is shuffling around in the run. I cannot see any injury to legs or wings when I gave her a warm bath yesterday and she is alert and eating and drinking normally.

This is the second day and I lifted her in and out of the box last night and this morning. She had been laying soft shelled eggs for a few weeks now and, after laying, the others would all have a feast on the broken egg. They do not touch the other eggs, which are normal. They are four RIR, just over two years old and we usually get two eggs daily plus the soft shell.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have the same problem with one of my RIR. she is about 2.5 years old. she is not putting any weight on her leg. as others have stated her leg is at an angle. she does eat and does drink some water. i'll isolate her tomorrow and let her rest.

my RIR has no movement in her foot. she doesn't try to grab it when I put my finger under her foot. the other one does. not so sure as to what to do for her. I gave her a crushed aspirin with her food this morning. she ate it.

doesn't help that we are going to have a heat wave this week. I have her isolated in a part of the coop I can close off. she has water and food and a small tub with some shavings in it. she mostly rests on the dirt in the shade. there is a tree that provides shade for most of the day until late afternoon.

she wants to be in the coop with the others at night and she has been resting at night in one of the nest boxes.

my RIR has no movement in her foot. she doesn't try to grab it when I put my finger under her foot. the other one does. not so sure as to what to do for her. I gave her a crushed aspirin with her food this morning. she ate it.

doesn't help that we are going to have a heat wave this week. I have her isolated in a part of the coop I can close off. she has water and food and a small tub with some shavings in it. she mostly rests on the dirt in the shade. there is a tree that provides shade for most of the day until late afternoon.

she wants to be in the coop with the others at night and she has been resting at night in one of the nest boxes.
Have you added any new chickens to your flock lately who could have been a carrier for Mareks disease? Are your roosts very high where she may have suffered a severe injury jumping down? Is there any swelling in her leg joints?

Have you added any new chickens to your flock lately who could have been a carrier for Mareks disease? Are your roosts very high where she may have suffered a severe injury jumping down? Is there any swelling in her leg joints?

I added 3 new RIR about 3 to 4 months ago. I had 2 chickens from my first batch of birds.

as for any disease I have not seen anything wrong with the new birds and the two I had before other than one who hurt herself. all the birds look normal and from what I saw for Mareks disease they have no signs of it.

my roosts are rather high she may have hurt herself that way I don't know since I wasn't home when she did it. they also free range in my backyard all day. who knows what happened.

I have her isolated in a part of the coop that can be closed off under shade for the majority of the day.

I have put a crushed aspirin in her food bowl.

today she did try to put some weight on it. I have the one other RIR that I have had for 2.5 years hanging out with her at this moment. I do put her in the coop at night since I don't want her to be alone. she has been sleeping in a nest box and stays there all night.

I get up real early for work so I isolated her today before leaving for work. I'll put her in the coop tonight when the other chickens are inside. I think putting her in with the others is good for her at night.

Last edited:
Injuries are the most common reason for lameness, but usually the foot is not paralyzed unless there is nerve damage, or from something like Mareks which can cause tumors on the nerves. Yes, I agree that she needs some companionship since chickens need to be part of a flock. Keep us updated on how she is doing.

Injuries are the most common reason for lameness, but usually the foot is not paralyzed unless there is nerve damage, or from something like Mareks which can cause tumors on the nerves. Yes, I agree that she needs some companionship since chickens need to be part of a flock. Keep us updated on how she is doing.

will do. she likes the company. the other RIR follows me into the area she's in. she'll hang out neat her during the day.

unfortunately my RIR died the week I was gone. It was super hot here and her injury didn't help. she was getting better and trying to put weight on her leg. she moved her leg the morning I left and she was isolated during the day and the other chicken was allowed in to keep her company. I guess these things happen. I tried to get her better and I have to say the heat and her injury didn't help. she had shade over her all day, plenty of water and food.

Back
Top Bottom