Chicken with Injured Comb dies

Obxbeachin

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2023
When I went to let my chickens out I saw that my biggest rooster had an injured comb, it was bleeding and looked like another chicken had been pecking at it. I had seen my smallest bantam chicken would try to jump on my big rooster and peck at him. Everything seemed to be ok as long as my big rooster moved out of the little ones way. I guess sometime during the night the little rooster got to the big one and injured his comb. I removed the injured chicken and placed him back in a separate area. I did not have any quick stop and so I put cornstarch on the inured comb (I had read this or flour was ok to use if you did not have quick stop). All seemed to be ok until yesterday when I went to replenish the water and food. He was dead. This was my favorite rooster and was the nicest one I have ever had. Is this normal for a chicken to not survive due to a comb injury? Right now I am blaming my little chicken (which should be grateful he is alive after my fiancé gave it CPR when it got in the duck area and drowned in small kiddie pool I had for the ducks).

So sorry you lost your guy. My Peggy got a severe comb injury last summer. I also packed (and packed) it with corn starch and could not get it to stop. I put her in a kennel on pee pads so I could see how much she was bleeding. It was a lot.
She was already ailing from a mystery illness but she died 2 days after her injury.
I re homed the girl who injured her.

So sorry you lost your guy. My Peggy got a severe comb injury last summer. I also packed (and packed) it with corn starch and could not get it to stop. I put her in a kennel on pee pads so I could see how much she was bleeding. It was a lot.
She was already ailing from a mystery illness but she died 2 days after her injury.
I re homed the girl who injured her.
Oh no sorry about your Peggy. I don't think mine (his name was Dumpling) was bleeding too much, we just noticed it looked shiny red at the base of the comb and some of the white hair was red too. I hope there isn't a sickness going around. This is the 3rd animal I have lost this week. The 1st one (mean rooster Carl) was taken by a predator in broad daylight, Jade the duck didn't make it (I think was bullied by other male ducks with hair pulled out and maybe got an infection I'm not sure), and now poor Dumpling. Everyone else seems to be looking healthy. I might have to rehome some of my least favorites to keep the others safe.

Sorry about your rooster. There may have been something wrong with the big rooster that the other chickens since, and they were trying to get rid of him. I would keep the body chilled but not frozen, and take him to your state vet for a necropsy today. It is the best way to find out what was wrong. Did he have any limping, weakness, or try to hide from the other chickens? How old was he? If you are unable to take him for a necropsy, you could do one at home, and take pictures of his major organs to post here for opinions. Here is a list of state vets to contact this morning:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Sorry about your rooster. There may have been something wrong with the big rooster that the other chickens since, and they were trying to get rid of him. I would keep the body chilled but not frozen, and take him to your state vet for a necropsy today. It is the best way to find out what was wrong. Did he have any limping, weakness, or try to hide from the other chickens? How old was he? If you are unable to take him for a necropsy, you could do one at home, and take pictures of his major organs to post here for opinions. Here is a list of state vets to contact this morning:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
I got him a few months ago. I am not sure how old he was. However, he was kept with one of my ladies separate for a while and then after my Carl disappeared I introduced him to the everyone else. He did try to hide some but I thought maybe he just wasn't used to them and wasn't sure how to react to the ducks. I keep everyone together. He had never been around ducks before so I thought he just wasn't sure about them. He was fine out of the pen with his lady friend.

Back
Top Bottom