Chicken With Injured Leg

Navigator73

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2024
I have a 7mo Sapphire Splash hen that’s been limping for about a week. She doesn’t seem able to put weight on her “heel”, the part of the foot next to the back toe. I don’t see an obvious injury. Skin intact, no swelling. She seems healthy otherwise. I thought at first she may be having a calcium deficiency, but it’s seeming more likely she injured herself, maybe slipped off her perch or something. When I went out to check on them for the night I found her standing on the support for the perch, and it seemed like she wasn’t able to get back up on the perch. She was panting hard, like she’d been over-exerting herself trying to get back on the perch. I decided to put her in the isolation cage I have. I feel like she needs to be somewhere she doesn’t need to use that foot for a little bit. I don’t have a perch in the iso cage because I don’t want her to have to do anything with that foot, and also I’m not sure she can stand on one right now since she can’t seem to put her foot down flat. But I wanted feedback if what I’ve done so far makes sense for what I’m seeing from her, and also any additional suggestions for getting this foot heal.

Can you post photos of her, her legs/feet and bottom of the foot too?

I agree, if she was having a hard time roosting, it's best to place her where she can lay down and be more comfortable.

If possible, place her cage during the day inside the run or near her flock so she can see them, or if you feel she'll be o.k. let her out and be with her flock during waking hours and put her back in the cage at night...use your best judgement.

Does she lay eggs? When was the last one?
The panting is a bit concerning, but it may be due to discomfort and stress from not being able to get to her normal roosting spot.

I have a 7mo Sapphire Splash hen that’s been limping for about a week. She doesn’t seem able to put weight on her “heel”, the part of the foot next to the back toe. I don’t see an obvious injury. Skin intact, no swelling. She seems healthy otherwise. I thought at first she may be having a calcium deficiency, but it’s seeming more likely she injured herself, maybe slipped off her perch or something. When I went out to check on them for the night I found her standing on the support for the perch, and it seemed like she wasn’t able to get back up on the perch. She was panting hard, like she’d been over-exerting herself trying to get back on the perch. I decided to put her in the isolation cage I have. I feel like she needs to be somewhere she doesn’t need to use that foot for a little bit. I don’t have a perch in the iso cage because I don’t want her to have to do anything with that foot, and also I’m not sure she can stand on one right now since she can’t seem to put her foot down flat. But I wanted feedback if what I’ve done so far makes sense for what I’m seeing from her, and also any additional suggestions for getting this foot heal.
So, we’re still trying to figure out what is going on with this leg. Went to an avian vet on Wednesday. She couldn’t identify any obvious injury. The hen was eating and drinking well during the visit. Was given Meloxicam to give her. But this morning I went to open the coop, and she was laying down on the floor of the coop. She was panting and seemed fatigued. I’ve brought her in to an isolation cage with food and water, and covered it to give her a quiet and darker environment for her to rest. She is eating and drinking a little. But she is still breathing with her mouth open and her breath heaves are noticeable. If I were to guess, she looks like she’s fatigued from a hard workout. I have another vet visit set for tomorrow if she doesn’t improve. But I’m again soliciting ideas as to how this leg injury is now causing her to look persistent fatigued. I’ve added a pic of how she’s laying and with her beak open. TIA!

Attachments

• IMG_2995.png
    IMG_2995.png
    938 KB · Views: 7
Hopefully the other vet will be able to make better suggestions.

Does she lay eggs? Any bloat or fluid in the abdomen?
We’re going to the same vet as Wednesday. She is laying eggs. No bloating I’ve not the vet has noticed. I did snap a pic while she was sleeping to show how she was laying, with the lame leg sticking out rather than laying on her hocks. If I were to listen to my gut, I’d say she’s sore and tired, but not sick, by the way she is behaving. She’s tired of not being able to move well, and it may be interfering with her eating and drinking well enough. She’s doing a little of both, but the frustration of trying to move to feed or drink maybe keeping her from doing both enough. I have a nanny cam in the iso cage so I can watch her. She’s been sipping water and eating the bowl of dried mealworms. But she looks just so tired. I hope we can find answers really soon.

Attachments

• IMG_3008.jpeg
    IMG_3008.jpeg
    642.2 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom