Chicken with its head missing

mitch1114

Songster
Jul 10, 2018
I just found a dead chicken partially under the coop. I thought it had gotten itself stuck but when I pulled it out its head had been ripped off. What the heck kind of critter does that?

I'm leaning towards a Dog did this. Why? Our neighbor dog does this to squirrels, cats and rabbits all the time. He presents his owners with these gifts I am told without the head.

I dont think it was a dog. We had 6 chickens killed this past summer and fall because of dogs so we dog proofed the run. They are not free range. I forgot to say I found it next to the fence under the corner of the coop.

Raccoons will also reach into an opening and eat off any part it can grab... a hawk ate my chicken from the head into the abdomen, I only know it was a hawk because I chased it off. Dogs, from my experiences, just chase and grab whatever they can and give it a good shake. Very messy and tends to leave birds alive, just very hurt. were there feathers or any signs of a struggle?

I dont see how it could be an owl. It was underneath the coop. The coop is on skids so there is a couple inches underneath it.

Raccoons will also reach into an opening and eat off any part it can grab... a hawk ate my chicken from the head into the abdomen, I only know it was a hawk because I chased it off. Dogs, from my experiences, just chase and grab whatever they can and give it a good shake. Very messy and tends to leave birds alive, just very hurt. were there feathers or any signs of a struggle?
No signs of a struggle that I could see. But I got a lot of feathers out from under the coop where its head would have been.

Of you have a game camera, put it up. Most likely the predator has been lurking looking for an opportunity and it will be back then you will know what you're dealing with.

Back
Top Bottom