Chicken with leg paralysis - could it be something other than Marek's?

Thank you so much...that is very hopeful, good advice.

Can I ask what country you are in? I'm in Australia. Thanks again, I'm going to look into getting my flock tested. You don't make mareks seem so terrible and scary, but something manageable and I'm up for the challenge....I feel like I've dealt with everything else in my flock!

I have never had marek's so I might be wrong, but isn't marek's contagious? I don't think only 1 bird would get it.

from reading different posts it seems that marek's hits in cooler climates. in greece where we have hot weather marek's is not an issue (it exists but mostly on the egg farms where hens are caged and the unit has air condition).

I have never had marek's so I might be wrong, but isn't marek's contagious? I don't think only 1 bird would get it.

from reading different posts it seems that marek's hits in cooler climates. in greece where we have hot weather marek's is not an issue (it exists but mostly on the egg farms where hens are caged and the unit has air condition).

Yes if one bird has it they likely all do but it is a herpes virus that is usually dormant. Many if not most birds will live their entire lives with a mild strain and never have a sign or symptom, but occasionally a bird that is being picked on or has another illness that is stressing them out and weakening their immune system suddenly comes down with it.

Same thing with human herpes viruses, they estimate 2 out of 3 people on the planet have oral herpes and most never know it or get a cold sore. Though in birds there are different strains of Mareks, a really hot/deadly virus can kill a whole flock quickly but that is very rare and would break out soon after exposure.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...u-probably-have-herpes-but-thats-really-okay/

Yes if one bird has it they likely all do but it is a herpes virus that is usually dormant. Many if not most birds will live their entire lives with a mild strain and never have a sign or symptom, but occasionally a bird that is being picked on or has another illness that is stressing them out and weakening their immune system suddenly comes down with it.

Same thing with human herpes viruses, they estimate 2 out of 3 people on the planet have oral herpes and most never know it or get a cold sore. Though in birds there are different strains of Mareks, a really hot/deadly virus can kill a whole flock quickly but that is very rare and would break out soon after exposure.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...u-probably-have-herpes-but-thats-really-okay/

Your posts are so helpful, thank you.

In your experience does mareks progress quickly? I have done a lot of online reading about it and it generally says the bird will die within weeks. I have Bonnie in a sling and her wings and neck are strong and not showing signs of paralysis, she is a good weight and eating and drinking well still but her legs are not functioning still (I can feel her muscles flexing, trying to make them move though).

Your posts are so helpful, thank you.

In your experience does mareks progress quickly? I have done a lot of online reading about it and it generally says the bird will die within weeks. I have Bonnie in a sling and her wings and neck are strong and not showing signs of paralysis, she is a good weight and eating and drinking well still but her legs are not functioning still (I can feel her muscles flexing, trying to make them move though).

Some stay that way for several weeks or even months if they are pampered/fed. I would start her on an anti-herpes med if you are hoping she will recover (though the meds can cause kidney problems so use with caution).

Some stay that way for several weeks or even months if they are pampered/fed. I would start her on an anti-herpes med if you are hoping she will recover (though the meds can cause kidney problems so use with caution).
Thank you again....

Have you had hens at the point Bonnie is (leg paralysis) recover with the herpes medication? I booked the vet for tomorrow, I am just worried she's unhappy and don't want her to suffer if there's little hope for her. It's just awful to see her like this.

Thank you again....

Have you had hens at the point Bonnie is (leg paralysis) recover with the herpes medication? I booked the vet for tomorrow, I am just worried she's unhappy and don't want her to suffer if there's little hope for her. It's just awful to see her like this.
I have not though I have heard others have. I got the meds after the losses.
Someone wrote to me recenty and said their bird recovered and was able to walk after a month or so on her own with no meds (but that has to be extraordinarily rare) and I have seen stories of one or two others that improved on the meds.

As far as what to tell you, the odds may be slim so it is up to you if you let her go now or if you want to try meds for 7-10 days and see if there is improvement. It is hard with mareks birds because while they are paralyzed they are also usually so alert and really love to eat.

Maybe you should try! It can't hurt and it would be good to know how it works out with the meds. They aren't expensive and any pharmacy will have them.

Back
Top Bottom