Chicken with leg paralysis - could it be something other than Marek's?

Cara_loves_chooks

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2019
I have a 3 year old pekin bantam (Bonnie) who recently started hobbling a bit and has slowly (over 2-3 weeks) got worse to the point where she can't stand at all. She otherwise seems very healthy and is eating and drinking as normal. One foot is cool (not completely cold) the other is warm and she can still grip with both feet, only the cool one is much weaker than the other.

Could this be something other than mareks? I have a flock of mixed breeds (50 birds) and everyone else seems fluffy and healthy.

Has anyone else had experience with paralysis that turned out not to be mareks?
I have her isolated and have been giving her lots of good food.
Thanks so much.

Have you added any new birds to your flock in recent months? Usually Mareks affects young pullets, unless they are exposed to a carrier. Can you post any pictures of Bonnie how she sits or lies? Could she have injured her leg? It is hard to know if she has Mareks, an injury, or if she might have something internally pressing on her leg nerve. You can try her in a chicken sling to help get her up and in front of food and water. There is a pcr blood test available to test for Mareks if that is something you might want to do by contacting this lab:
http://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/aviansubmittalform.pdf

Some ideas for chicken slings or chairs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Thank you again....

Have you had hens at the point Bonnie is (leg paralysis) recover with the herpes medication? I booked the vet for tomorrow, I am just worried she's unhappy and don't want her to suffer if there's little hope for her. It's just awful to see her like this.
I have not though I have heard others have. I got the meds after the losses.
Someone wrote to me recenty and said their bird recovered and was able to walk after a month or so on her own with no meds (but that has to be extraordinarily rare) and I have seen stories of one or two others that improved on the meds.

As far as what to tell you, the odds may be slim so it is up to you if you let her go now or if you want to try meds for 7-10 days and see if there is improvement. It is hard with mareks birds because while they are paralyzed they are also usually so alert and really love to eat.

Maybe you should try! It can't hurt and it would be good to know how it works out with the meds. They aren't expensive and any pharmacy will have them.

If it is Mareks then it was likely triggered by some type of stress. Has she been stressed or picked on?

Some of us are using antiherpes medications with success for Mareks so it isn't a hopeless situation, but catching it early is important. Also it seems a lot of Mareks birds develop an odd "frantic" style of eating which seems to be another common sign.

She has been a bit stressed from a bullying cockerel, he has been isolated from the flock since I realised, but I know she was hiding from him.

What antiherpes medications are you using? I do wonder if I have mareks in my flock as I have had one other bird with leg paralysis a year ago.... I worry about mareks a lot so would love to know how you manage it if it is present in your flock.

Thanks again for your reply, I love this page...it has helped with so many chicken worries, and this is my first proper post.

Some use acyclovir, I use Valtrex. Both are cheap generic drugs but you need a script from your vet, then fill it at a local pharmacy. Use a small part of one tablet.

I have had Mareks in the flock for nearly 6 years. First year there were a few losses (mainly adolescents that were stressed). Now I am super mindful about not letting birds get stressed, use broodies for chicks, and if a bird is injured/traumatized give them a couple of days of herpes meds to ward off any possible development. I haven't had a bird get sick from it since.

It is an antiviral so the drug works by stopping the virus from infecting more cells and preventing the damage/spread. Much like the controversial HCQ it needs to be started early, waiting until things are super bad makes the drug far less effective.

Last edited:
Thank you so much...that is very hopeful, good advice.

Can I ask what country you are in? I'm in Australia. Thanks again, I'm going to look into getting my flock tested. You don't make mareks seem so terrible and scary, but something manageable and I'm up for the challenge....I feel like I've dealt with everything else in my flock!

I'm in the U.S. Not sure what tests are used for live birds these days but here is one thread on it.

But if I were you I would find out what tests are available before you visit a vet (or maybe just send a sample off yourself). Maybe there are newer/better tests now.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mareks-testing-in-living-birds.1206105/

I have never had marek's so I might be wrong, but isn't marek's contagious? I don't think only 1 bird would get it.

from reading different posts it seems that marek's hits in cooler climates. in greece where we have hot weather marek's is not an issue (it exists but mostly on the egg farms where hens are caged and the unit has air condition).

Yes if one bird has it they likely all do but it is a herpes virus that is usually dormant. Many if not most birds will live their entire lives with a mild strain and never have a sign or symptom, but occasionally a bird that is being picked on or has another illness that is stressing them out and weakening their immune system suddenly comes down with it.

Same thing with human herpes viruses, they estimate 2 out of 3 people on the planet have oral herpes and most never know it or get a cold sore. Though in birds there are different strains of Mareks, a really hot/deadly virus can kill a whole flock quickly but that is very rare and would break out soon after exposure.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...u-probably-have-herpes-but-thats-really-okay/

Yes if one bird has it they likely all do but it is a herpes virus that is usually dormant. Many if not most birds will live their entire lives with a mild strain and never have a sign or symptom, but occasionally a bird that is being picked on or has another illness that is stressing them out and weakening their immune system suddenly comes down with it.

Same thing with human herpes viruses, they estimate 2 out of 3 people on the planet have oral herpes and most never know it or get a cold sore. Though in birds there are different strains of Mareks, a really hot/deadly virus can kill a whole flock quickly but that is very rare and would break out soon after exposure.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...u-probably-have-herpes-but-thats-really-okay/

Your posts are so helpful, thank you.

In your experience does mareks progress quickly? I have done a lot of online reading about it and it generally says the bird will die within weeks. I have Bonnie in a sling and her wings and neck are strong and not showing signs of paralysis, she is a good weight and eating and drinking well still but her legs are not functioning still (I can feel her muscles flexing, trying to make them move though).

Your posts are so helpful, thank you.

In your experience does mareks progress quickly? I have done a lot of online reading about it and it generally says the bird will die within weeks. I have Bonnie in a sling and her wings and neck are strong and not showing signs of paralysis, she is a good weight and eating and drinking well still but her legs are not functioning still (I can feel her muscles flexing, trying to make them move though).

Some stay that way for several weeks or even months if they are pampered/fed. I would start her on an anti-herpes med if you are hoping she will recover (though the meds can cause kidney problems so use with caution).

I have a 3 year old pekin bantam (Bonnie) who recently started hobbling a bit and has slowly (over 2-3 weeks) got worse to the point where she can't stand at all. She otherwise seems very healthy and is eating and drinking as normal. One foot is cool (not completely cold) the other is warm and she can still grip with both feet, only the cool one is much weaker than the other.

Could this be something other than mareks? I have a flock of mixed breeds (50 birds) and everyone else seems fluffy and healthy.

Has anyone else had experience with paralysis that turned out not to be mareks?
I have her isolated and have been giving her lots of good food.
Thanks so much.

I had similar problem. not sure if it was due to hot weather or worms, but all of my chickens got better. it happened 2-3 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom