chicken with lice infestation

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roxyblue, Jul 8, 2011.

1. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    i am stupid...[​IMG]
    I got a Amerucauna hen a month ago and put it right in with my other chickens now they all have lice. Its pretty bad ' Roxy'pulled out all of her vent feathers and has been picking at herself. Is there ANY advice for a home remedie that I can use before going to get somthing to help my girls out ( any advice on that would be aprecieted ( I am a HORRIBLE speller) as well)
    thank you guys so much!

I LOVE this sight

2. teamsunbelt

teamsunbelt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Midland, NC
    Just got a new rooster a few weeks ago with mites. I used an animal spray for ticks, lice and mites to clear him up before I added him to the flock. I waited a few days and sprayed him again. I later found out that my moms small flock, who is our neighbor, had mites as well. They must have come with them, she has only had them a few months.

They make an all natural spray for chickens, made by Manna Pro I believe.

Last week I sprayed every hen in the two yards with the all natural spray. Completely cleaned out the coop's using water with a little Dawn dish soap. Burned all of the bedding and nests material. I used Seven dust in the coops, nest boxes and then added new material. A real good thing to do is add Seven dust to the chickens favorite dust bath hole.

As far as we are now, no more mites.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

No home remedies, but if you want something quick and easy, you can try Adams flea/tick spray or Frontline (I've split a cat sized dose). That really bites... [​IMG]

4. roxyblue

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    thanks for the advice i was just looking at her. the other hen is picking around the poor girls vent i'll look up the different treatments i heard DE works as well
    Thanks again

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    DE works better as a preventative. You will read on here it doesn't do much for killing them once you get an infestation. You need Seven dust or the Adams spray or ivomec pour on.
    sharon

6. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I used Poultry Dust I got at Tractor Supply. Yes, it's chemicals, but a serious problem requires a serious arsenal in my opinion. I've read Sevin dust is also very effective. Just be sure to treat at least twice, as the lice lay eggs that the powders won't kill. You need to treat again 10-14 days after the first treatment.

7. roxyblue

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    I went out to tractor supply and got a poultry dust to i hope It works:fl i'm trying it out tomorrow!

8. PoachiesMom

PoachiesMom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Had good results with Frontline - yes, the spot on for dogs - just 2-3 drops on the skin behind the head knocks the little buggers out in about 12 hours. Need to repeat in 10 days for rehatching.

9. roxyblue

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    thanks,
    if this doesn't work then i'll try frontline

10. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I use something called Dry Kill, its a poultry dusting powder. I dust them once, then check back in a few weeks to see if there is any lice left.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by