Chicken with lime green watery poop and excessive urates.

Blessed092001

Chirping
Jan 14, 2022
I first noticed some green tinted shavings in the coop a few weeks back. A few days ago, I noticed one chicken not eating with the others in the morning, 2 days in a row. She basically lethargic. I brought her in to quarantine so I could examine her poop and behavior. Noticed her shaking her head and yawning. Thought maybe gapeworms so dewormed her 3 days ago with Ivermec. Now starting to think possible respiratory infection as I'm starting to hear some rattling and horseness. It's hard to get her to want to eat so gave her a dose of poultry cell, vitamins, amino acids and minerals soaked in her regular feed. She did eat this morning. Any direction would be appreciated. This mornings specimen attached.

Attachments

• PXL_20220114_142351258.jpg
    PXL_20220114_142351258.jpg
    537 KB · Views: 60
Noticed her shaking her head and yawning. Thought maybe gapeworms so dewormed her 3 days ago with Ivermec. Now starting to think possible respiratory infection as I'm starting to hear some rattling and horseness.
I would definitely check her crop to make sure it's emptying as suggested.

Any chance she ate moldy feed?
Can you get a photo of what she looks like, how she stands?

Where are you located in the world?
Gapeworm is fairly rare, but Ivomec is not a good choice for treating them. Valbazen or Safeguard would be more effective.

How old is she and how long have you had her?

Have you checked her crop? She may have a crop disorder that is causing her to quit eating since the crop is full and not allowing hunger to signal to the hen to eat.

This will give you more information to figure out if a crop disorder is the problem and what to do once you figure out which crop disorder it is. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Yes, I did and she has no crop disorder. I can't even feel her crop. She's obviously starving to death, poor girl. 😭 I'm starting to wonder if she might have contracted ecoli from spoiled bird seed or maybe picked up something transmitted by wild birds? I have been worried about that happening lately. My flock discovered my bird feeders and were making a mad dash for my feeder grounds since December when I started feeding the wild birds again. That didn't happen last year at all. Now, I'm keeping the chickens in the coop and run all day to try and protect them from getting sick. I may have to stop feeding the wild birds all together. I get so many and I learned that finches are notorious for having gapeworm too.

I would definitely check her crop to make sure it's emptying as suggested.

Any chance she ate moldy feed?
Can you get a photo of what she looks like, how she stands?

Where are you located in the world?
Gapeworm is fairly rare, but Ivomec is not a good choice for treating them. Valbazen or Safeguard would be more effective.

How old is she and how long have you had her?
Thank you for responding! No, definitely not a crop problem. I received Henrietta on June 4, 2020. She was 3 weeks old. A bielefelder chicken. So she's now about 20 months old. I live in Southern New England, USA. I was first going to give her the valbazen. But wasn't able to get her to eat the soaked bread at that time so applied the "pour on" Ivermec instead. She could have gotten into something bad for sure. Possibly could have got something from all the wild birds we have here too. The flock discovered and chose to hang out under my birdfeeders when fee ranging the past month and a half. I only feed birds in winter so may need to stop. Lots of available food under those feeders. That did concern me. So now, they are all cooped up with small run area until I decide what to do next. Henrietta is in my chicken hospital as you can see. Just tried to get as much food and water into her as I can right now. I feel a bit helpless. 😢 She does still preen and has been going through a molt too.

Attachments

• PXL_20220115_124358317.jpg
    PXL_20220115_124358317.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20220115_122431653.jpg
    PXL_20220115_122431653.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 8
I was first going to give her the valbazen. But wasn't able to get her to eat the soaked bread at that time so applied the "pour on" Ivermec instead.
Dawg53 describes the best way to give medications in the link below. Direct dosing is much easier than trying to get them to eat bread with medication on (they KNOW you want to them to so they don't:tongue). I would try deworming to see if that helps.
She may have something else going on. Is there a way to get a fecal float and gram stain?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-i-am-in-coccidias-and-worm-hell.1495435/post-24959698

Dawg53 describes the best way to give medications in the link below. Direct dosing is much easier than trying to get them to eat bread with medication on (they KNOW you want to them to so they don't:tongue). I would try deworming to see if that helps.
She may have something else going on. Is there a way to get a fecal float and gram stain?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-i-am-in-coccidias-and-worm-hell.1495435/post-24959698
Update. As of this morning,

Update. As of this morning,
Hopeful news! Henrietta is looking and feeling much better as of this morning. Perhaps the Ivermec and the expelling of offenders took a lot out of her? She was getting weak fast from not eating or drinking. I made her a scrambled egg, gave an electrolite/vitamin supplement in her water and soaked her regular feed with the electrolite water. She ate on and off all day. She was actively preening and alert. Good to see her getting some good nourishment today. In 5 days, I'll give her the valbazen. Thanks for sharing about how to do it. I will be closely watching for changes in Henrietta's poop daily. Hoping the green lime green diarreha ends soon and her poop starts to look more healthy again.

Today wasn't as good as yesterday. I don't believe Henrietta came down from the roost much today. I was out for about 8 hours so I don't know for sure. At about 5pm, I sat in a chair and lifted the bowls of food and water to within her reach over and over again for a good hour and she did eat and drink small amounts at a time. I didn't want her to go to sleep on an empty stomach so I'm glad she ate. I don't know any way to get a float test or gram stain. It's confusing to me as to why her poops are so bright green. Never saw that before. 😢

Back
Top Bottom