Chicken with lime green watery poop and excessive urates.

Is her crop emptying?

The green often is because of them not eating, but it can be a sign of infection.
Is vet care an option?
Yes, crop is emptying. I've been wondering if indeed there could be an infection? She had been in molt. She was visiting the nesting boxes around the same time I was noticing some lime green shavings in the coop. So this problem has been going on for quite awhile now. Over a month I'd say. Makes me wonder if she may have had an egg misfire into her abdominal cavity? I don't have a vet and there isn't an avian vet anywhere to help me diagnose what the problem is😢 If I were to try to treat an infection, not knowing whether or not that it is the problem, what might I use?

Yes, crop is emptying. I've been wondering if indeed there could be an infection? She had been in molt. She was visiting the nesting boxes around the same time I was noticing some lime green shavings in the coop. So this problem has been going on for quite awhile now. Over a month I'd say. Makes me wonder if she may have had an egg misfire into her abdominal cavity? I don't have a vet and there isn't an avian vet anywhere to help me diagnose what the problem is😢 If I were to try to treat an infection, not knowing whether or not that it is the problem, what might I use?
Amoxicillin would be my choice if I were going to try to treat.

Amoxicillin would be my choice if I were going to try to treat.
This pic is of Henrietta this morning. She seems happy to be out of the kennel. I have the sunroom closed off and for now, the carpet is her run area. I'm trying to see from the eyes of my chickens. The coop is where the roost is and the run is down below. So I'm going to let her come down for several hours each day instead of being solely in the kennel. She was back and forth eating the moistened layer crumbles and drinking the electrolite water this morning. Best eating session yet since bringing her inside. So later this afternoon, she will get to do this again.

Attachments

• PXL_20220118_160110630.jpg
    PXL_20220118_160110630.jpg
    888.7 KB · Views: 3
She's lovely!
I would put her out and see how she does.
Has her poop improved at all?
Not yet. I think I need to get her on a good eating schedule first and if she gets her appetite back, perhaps her poops will normalize again. We may have turned a corner, but I don't feel like we are out of the woods quite yet. Would like to give it a few more days and see how it goes. Very hopeful. I'm at work but I have someone there right now and the report back to me is that she's out of the kennel and drinking her water. Yay! I'm feeling more hopeful!

She having a good day. I think the trick was to get her out of the kennel and down on the floor for awhile with access to her food and water. She went for it and visited quite often in the 2+ hours I had her out observing her. So hopeful!! 🤞
May I ask what happened with your hen ? I have one that is currently in a similar state

Back
Top Bottom