Chicken with Mareks, Now what?

wiss0023

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 1, 2010
Wisconsin
Long story short, I have had my cuckoo maran (from a small backyard flock of six) in my basement monitoring her and trying to nurse her back to health for the last two weeks, she is showing signs of left leg and wing paralysis along with greenish and white runny poop, her weight is dropping rapidly and she has been lethargic the last two days. I have tried probiotics, antibiotics, checked for everything I can think of, to no avail. I am so sad.

The question is . . . now what. I know I need to put her out of her misery (waiting for my husband to get home for this), but how do I dispose of her body? How do I make sure the rest of my flock doesn't get infected (they show no signs, and I know two of them were vaccinated for Mareks, but my other three were purchased from a small breeder and I am unsure if she vaccinated)? I have cleaned out the shavings in the coop, but am going to go back out today do a more particular cleaning (what would you recommend . . . shop vac out any shaving dust at the bottom, use natural cleaner etc?) I have kids too, do I need to worry about anything with them . . . like I said she has been in the basement. Do I vaccinate my three adults that I am unsure of their vaccination?

Thank you for your input!

So sorry.
hugs.gif

You can either try to pull her through it or cull her. you can burry, burn, or put in garbage bags and put in trash. Mareks is in the soil everywhere there is nothing you can do about the ones you have some more may come down with symptoms but the ones that were vaccinated should not in theory. (97% vaccine works they say) Steralizing coop is futile but a good cleaning never hurts. Mareks is similar to the herpes virus it attacks nerves much like shingles do in humans only much worse. If you choose to pull her though it (is possible as long as they continue to eat) she will always be a carrier. Although chances are it will always be lurking no matter what you do. For future birds always buy vaccinated or vaccinate your own if you end up hatching. Some things like MG and other CRd only survive on the bird so you can do a sterilization and get rid of it but Mareks is way too tough.

Good Luck.

Thank you for the information. I will clean the coop again for good measure, and hope my other chickens are resistant, I will certainly get vaccinated chicks in the future. I think she is too far gone to save. The first ten days or so, I thought she was maybe going to pull through, she was alert and still eating and drinking. Yesterday and today I had to force her to drink (added electrolytes to her water and used a dropper), and she had no interest in any fruit or feed I offered. I appreciate you taking the time to walk me through it.

Also you need to be sure that to take care of healthy birds first then remove all clothing ,shoes, wash hands before dealing with sick ones. So sorry:(

Back
Top Bottom