Chicken With MG?

MichaelGrinnanjr

Hatching
Nov 29, 2021
I have 6 Buff Brahma poults and they just recently started to lay I notice one day one of their eyes was foaming and i immediately removed her from the rest of the flock her nose did also run a little bit but she seems healthy and her egg production has not decreased is this MG or another respiratory disease. Are the other poults infected?

:welcome :welcome

I'm still learning about MG, but it sure sounds like that's what she has. Most likely the others are, just by knowing diseases, but again, I'm new to learning about this, so I could be wrong. Here, I'll tag some people who might have more knowledge.

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @Swbertrand1

Photo would help. What is their coop like and the weather? Look at her eyes in the night and the morning. MG has a sticky clear discharge that will often seal the eyes shut in the morning. It will also flow down their face like tears when the case is starting to flare.

Here are a couple recent MG case of two of my chickens. It has since cleared with a couple of treatments. This young one also had worms and a bronchial infection so his nose was runny, but the other had MG with no nasal mucous.

Screenshot_20211201-201446_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20211201-201834_Gallery.jpg

Photo would help. What is their coop like and the weather? Look at her eyes in the night and the morning. MG has a sticky clear discharge that will often seal the eyes shut in the morning. It will also flow down their face like tears when the case is starting to flare.

Here are a couple recent MG case of two of my chickens. It has since cleared with a couple of treatments. This young one also had worms and a bronchial infection so his nose was runny, but the other had MG with no nasal mucous.

View attachment 2915751
View attachment 2915756
26A0982E-0ADD-4B74-85B9-0E18E057F882.jpeg

I would guess it is not MG, but it certainly looks like MG and coryza because the eye is puffy and droopy. MG is treatable with antibiotics and eyedrops. But my adults rarely have these symptoms, only the young ones. I cant remember an adult having MG in my flock, but young ones always have some symptoms when the get it.

But if it is infectious bronchitis, then it is a virus and not treatable. What would you do if it was infectious bronchitis? Cull or wait and let it pass?

Screenshot_20211201-204657_Chrome.jpg

I have 6 Buff Brahma poults and they just recently started to lay I notice one day one of their eyes was foaming and i immediately removed her from the rest of the flock her nose did also run a little bit but she seems healthy and her egg production has not decreased is this MG or another respiratory disease. Are the other poults infected?

Where did you get the poults? How long have you had them? It could have been a virus they had that has been dormant for a while, and for some reason has flared again.

It is possible they all have this virus already and will only flare up in stress or cold for example.

I would guess it is not MG, but it certainly looks like MG and coryza because the eye is puffy and droopy. MG is treatable with antibiotics and eyedrops. But my adults rarely have these symptoms, only the young ones. I cant remember an adult having MG in my flock, but young ones always have some symptoms when the get it.

But if it is infectious bronchitis, then it is a virus and not treatable. What would you do if it was infectious bronchitis? Cull or wait and let it pass?

View attachment 2915801
I would more than likely let it pass the eggs the Brahma has layed are health and not wrinkles and she has layed regularly could it just be a mild case of IB?

Where did you get the poults? How long have you had them? It could have been a virus they had that has been dormant for a while, and for some reason has flared again.

It is possible they all have this virus already and will only flare up in stress or cold for example.
I got the poults for royal king. Possibly from cackle hatchery which is why I would suspect they have nose kind of resistance to MG

Back
Top Bottom