Desperate for advice!! Chicken with mucus not improving.

Greenfly

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2016
uk
Hi there,
I watch and read alot and really value all the expertise around here!
I have a chicken who the has mucus in her throat after a fox attack that killed 4 of her pals
The birds all got out of their house to escape the fox and ended up out in the rain and wind
Next day theyre all a bit subdued but Tilly was the worst. She had white spots on her tongue that I took to be thrush. cider vinegar and probiotics are clearing that up.
But..she can't eat i dont know if her beak is sore or her tongue, and her throat has mucus.. clear. She is also constantly trying to poop and only managing green froth.

I cant say if this was happening before the attack. She was ok then in herself. But now she is talkative and happy but wont eat or drink. Any advice?

1) Chicken 3yrs old no change to her norm
2) Standing and sitting and roosting but pecking at food not picking it up ?sore
3) noticed yesterday
4) no other birds have it
5) no other trauma but her beak doesn't seem flush when closed. A bit open. Not sure if thats her norm
6) a fox attack all shaken
7) I gave her acv in water 2 hourly, then some electrolytes
A little calendula and then probotic water with some.dissolved food. 2hrly manages 5ml in syringe each time. Likes it
8) poop is green and foamy and small shes trying to go.
9) SEE 7)
10 ) Iam a nurse so I want to treat and we treat organicly/homepathixally if poss
11) currently isolated in the warm with a perch and dust bath fresh grass and water

THANKYOU!!!!!!

Last edited:
If I had to take a guess, she is still having problems with the thrush or possibly canker. Even if what was on the tongue seems to be clearing up, yeast and protozoa infections can set up shop in the esophagus, crop, gizzard, etc.

Can you take her to a vet?

Maybe try giving her some organic cold pressed coconut oil. Coconut oil attacks the candida which is yeast instantly it will also clean her out a little to pass some stole. try giving her just a little bit not too much as you do not want her to have diarrhea and dry out. You can also give her a teaspoon to a half gallon of water of paprika to open up her nostrils and lungs for congestion. I wish you the best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom