Chicken with neck injury. Please Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alarson1019, Dec 23, 2014.

1. alarson1019

alarson1019 New Egg

Dec 23, 2014
    Hi I have a 2 year old Buff Orpington that somehow sustained an injury to her neck inside my coop. I am not sure what happened but she had horrible black bruising around her neck. I took her out of the coop and into my house and put her in a bin and for the last week I have been feeding/watering her via syringe. At first I thought maybe it was wry neck but thought that seemed strange for her age and because of the obvious bruising. I treated the bruising with homeopathic arnica cream and within 4 days all bruising was gone. She still cannot lift her head up and wants to keep it tucked up under her chest but the strength in her neck has improved. I don't know what else to do. I was thinking about making some type of hammock with leg holes for her and have it a bit higher in the front so her head can remain upwards to heal because I think keeping it underneath is not helping her healing. I am truly at a loss. She's also having some sinus issues now. Probably from her head being down and not draining. If anyone has some advice I would appreciate it. I really don't want to put her down because she's healthy otherwise but I also don't want her to endure all of this and never recover :'(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by