Chicken with one eye

Koolaid

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 11, 2010
Vancleave
We just bought some chickens 2 days ago and noticed when we got home that one of the girls only has 1 eye. She seems to stay to herself a lot and the others don't seem to like her much. Is there anything I should do or will she be ok? It looks like her eye is completely missing and it doesn't really seem to bother her. I'm just worried that she spends so much time alone.

Thanks

We have a girl with spacial needs, no one ever buddied up to, she is a house chicken so I hope your girl finds a friend in the flock! House chickens are very needy but worth it IF you have the time.

Quote:
Well, if her eye is already missing there's not much you can do,but if it looks like a recient ( don't think that's spelled right) injury keep an eye out for infection.

Also, keep an eye on them in case the other chickens start to peck at her because if they start pecking they won't stop or if you have a seperate pen you can put her in now, that might be the way to go.

I know it's not the same but I had a one eyed duck and he was kept in a seperate pen with a female for company and they got along just fine, in fact both lived to a ripe old age.

Good luck with her:)

They were all together in the same run when we bought them and they are all about 6 months old (according to the people we bought them from).

Please tell me about house chickens, I'm thinking she might be one.
smile.png

Thanks for the help.

I just remembered that one of the hens was taken from another area when we bought them. I don't know that is was my blind eye, but it seems reasonable. Maybe she's not been with these other chickens before and 3 days isn't enough time for them all to adjust?

Last edited:
It's all a bit new right now for them and they are young. Honestly she will do just fine with one eye. I kind of like the idea of a house chicken. Many folk with disabled birds do that though - ( They don;t actually use a cat litter try!) But don;t tell anyone when you bring her in!
duc.gif

Good luck with her. - We have two babies in the house at the moment and they come in the office to visit. They practice perching on the in try rail! Quite funny. We put letters we don;t want under them ( Bills and things!) They are only 5 weeks old at the moment but we will miss them when they go outside. I think they have been in longer than they should already . Though both were very small and ill for a longtime so they are way smaller than the guys outside.

Oeadog -
jumpy.gif

Thank you. After reading these and some other posts, I feel better about her. I'm going to let her stay with others for a couple of weeks and she doesn't seem to be adjusting I might build another smaller coop and run and get her a rooster to live with like br64's duck
big_smile.png

I thought of that, but I'm afraid she'll just get pecked by her too...I'm open to suggestions though. This chicken thing is all new to me.

Back
Top Bottom