Chicken with one swollen eye

Nerdc0reRizing

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2017
Hello, I'm new to chicken keeping. I have 12 hens and one of my EEs has a slightly swollen eye. I've gone through all related BYC posts and hers doesn't fit those descriptions. Only the eyelid on one eye is slightly puffy with a little redness above the eye. She is eating and drinking with no discharge or other symptoms. They all sneeze from time to time but it seems like dust they're all acting pretty healthy. The only thing that makes me nervous is the eye has two really tiny blood blister looking dots above the eyelid. It doesn't look like the pictures of Avian pox but not sure if that's how it starts. Could this just be a run of the mill injury? I bought vetrx and vetericyn but haven't started it just yet. Any other suggestions? Would going to the vet be jumping the gun? Thank you in advance.

I just went through something similar. I suspect she was pecked on or above her eye. I would apply a triple antibiotic cream to the whole area twice a day. This is what I'm doing for mine and the swelling is going down, although it will take maybe 4 or more days of application.

Thank you so much for your quick response, I do think she is a bit lower on the pecking order so that is my "logical" guess, but I am quite attached so I get paranoid! LOL. I did get the vetericyn ointment so I will start with that today, this might be a dumb question - you don't actually put it in the eye right? Just around it??
Thank you again - so appreciated.

You're a lifesaver! Thanks. I am at work but I asked my boyfriend if he'd be able to snap a picture for me that I can post for you guys. The Vetericyn is coming in the mail today so I will make sure and slather it on! :)

I don't see the red spots anymore but here's her eye.

Attachments

• 20170605_175036.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
It's a bit swollen, apply your ointment and see how it goes. Most likely from pecking, but watch for other signs of illness or infection - coughing, sneezing, mucous from the nostrils or pus/discharge from the eyes.

Keep us posted.

Whew! Sounds good. Snow white accepted me putting gel on her eye like a champ! I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom