Chicken with Poo Stuck to Vent

ChickenyChickeny

Songster
Jul 10, 2017
So, I have a buff Orpington named Buffy, and her feathers on her bum are so fluffy they are catching poop. Her vent feathers are now quite dirty. Should I just trim the feathers on her bum, or try to wash her off or what? Since you have already read this post, you may as well respond. Any advice is very much appreciated!

I would trim off what I could and then soak her is a nice warm epsom salt bath, dry her off and then trim some more. You might want to add some probiotics to their water too. Normally fluffy-butts don't have a big issue with this unless there's something else going on. How old is she? Is she laying? If so when is the last time? Is she walking and standing normal? Breathing good? Comb and wattle color good? Eyes bright?

I usually trim the feathers unless it's very superficial. We had some California Whites, Leghorns and some silkies and their behinds were always a proper mess in the spring. I attributed it to their re-adjusting to grass, as cattle do, especially since it tended to affect the more production-type laying birds rather than anyone else.

For whatever reason, my Australorp, my Wyandotte crosses, and most of my other birds with fluffier behinds did not experience this problem. I have considered worming any symptomatic ones after I checked that the problem was not Vent Gleet. (Not trying to frighten you, just making sure your bird's alright.) but never got around to it and it cleared up.

I would trim off what I could and then soak her is a nice warm epsom salt bath, dry her off and then trim some more. You might want to add some probiotics to their water too. Normally fluffy-butts don't have a big issue with this unless there's something else going on. How old is she? Is she laying? If so when is the last time? Is she walking and standing normal? Breathing good? Comb and wattle color good? Eyes bright?
X2!
Trim and wash.

Buffy is almost a year old, she is laying regularly. Her walking is fine, although she occasionally likes to sit down on the ground, I think because her legs get tired (she is big even by buff Orpington standards). I think her breathing is ok, I have not noticed any wheezing. Her comb and wattles are their regular red, and her eyes don't have any gunk in them, if that is what you meant by bright. I will try the probiotics, Apple cider vinegar should be good?

I usually trim the feathers unless it's very superficial. We had some California Whites, Leghorns and some silkies and their behinds were always a proper mess in the spring. I attributed it to their re-adjusting to grass, as cattle do, especially since it tended to affect the more production-type laying birds rather than anyone else.

For whatever reason, my Australorp, my Wyandotte crosses, and most of my other birds with fluffier behinds did not experience this problem. I have considered worming any symptomatic ones after I checked that the problem was not Vent Gleet. (Not trying to frighten you, just making sure your bird's alright.) but never got around to it and it cleared up.

just checked out pics and symptoms of vent fleet, I am 90% sure she does not have it. thanks for suggesting, though.

Back
Top Bottom