chicken with poopy poopy butt and wet oil gland

aSoftsilkie

Songster
Nov 10, 2019
hello! i have a white silkie bantam pullet with a poopy butt and wet oil gland, its been getting bad and i have no clue whatsoever what the disease, digestive, or respiratory issue it is. at first i thought it was coccidiosis, and i treated her with corid, a 5 day probiotic. but it didnt work. and her neck began to bend, so i concluded it was wry neck and treated her with a vitamin probiotic which helps with that. and it didnt work either. i also gave her baths for her butt, and it comes back daily. she never stops pooping, and i dont know what to do. i also tried giving her yogurt for beneficial bacteria for her digestive tract, which did nothing whatsoever and also gave her a higher protein food which did help a little but she went back to her original state, and a bit worse. she eats fine, she drinks fine, but she humps up and i have no clue what to do. if anyone knows or has any ideas what this is, or how to help her it would be greatly appreciated. thank you so much for your time :)

Can you post some photos?
How old is she?

What vitamin probiotic did you give?
What do you mean by wet oil gland - is it leaking oil, impacted, inflamed? (photo)
What do you feed?

A video of her walking around/humping up may also be helpful - upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Can you post some photos?
How old is she?

What vitamin probiotic did you give?
What do you mean by wet oil gland - is it leaking oil, impacted, inflamed? (photo)
What do you feed?

A video of her walking around/humping up may also be helpful - upload video to youtube and provide a link.
image_67145729.JPG

image_16810497.JPG

Here are some photos of her vent and abdomen and her oil gland. It's hard to see her oil gland but it looks fine, just wet. She's about 4 months old.
I was giving her durvet vitamins and electrolytes for poultry for her possible wry neck. Before that I was using corid for her possible coccidiosis. I'll need to get a picture of her humping. And I use Purina chick starter and grower crumbles for higher protein content and medication. She's lost alot of weight

And I use Purina chick starter and grower crumbles for higher protein content and medication. She's lost alot of weight
I was giving her durvet vitamins and electrolytes for poultry for her possible wry neck.
Before that I was using corid for her possible coccidiosis.
I would wash her up really well and give her fluff a trim so the poop doesn't stick so much.
Get some photos of her poop too if you can.

Take note if her crop is emptying overnight and if there is a yeasty white discharge from the vent.

If the oil gland looks normal, then I wouldn't mess with it.

Durvet vitamins/electrolytes does not have enough vitamin E in it to treat Wry Neck Symptoms. I would give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Offer some egg for the uptake of E. Cut out the Durvet and provide plain fresh water.

Has she been on Medicated Chick Starter for the whole 4 months? I would transition to non-medicated Chick Starter or an all flock feed.

Alright, ill give her a bath and trim around her vent. I'll also convert her feed to a non medicated chick starter. Question, how would you feed the vitamins to your birds, thank you so much for your help.

Alright, ill give her a bath and trim around her vent. I'll also convert her feed to a non medicated chick starter. Question, how would you feed the vitamins to your birds, thank you so much for your help.
The white is urates. I would make sure she's staying hydrated.
If she has Wry Neck, then you may need to assist her with eating/drinking.

Giving the vitamins, for a 4 month old, I would just pop the pills into her beak (separately) and let her swallow them.

The white is urates. I would make sure she's staying hydrated.
If she has Wry Neck, then you may need to assist her with eating/drinking.

Giving the vitamins, for a 4 month old, I would just pop the pills into her beak (separately) and let her swallow them.
Alright. Thank you so much for your help, one last question though. Would this be vent gleet? Thank you so much for your help again

Alright. Thank you so much for your help, one last question though. Would this be vent gleet? Thank you so much for your help again
Vent Gleet usually presents as a white pasty crusty discharge sticking to the vent that smells yeasty.
Are you noticing that?
The white on the poop is something that you should see, but there may be more than normal. This can be caused by dehydration. It could be a kidney disfunction, but I would work on hydration and see if that makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom