Chicken with really pale comb. It's super light pink and doesn't look good.

BuffOrps416

Songster
Apr 11, 2015
Hugging my chicken in Southern N.E.
I will try to post a picture as soon as I find my camera battery. My 2.75 year old Buff Orpington has had a really pale comb for the past two weeks while she was molting, but she finished like 6 days ago and her comb is still extremely pale. Her face is rather pale too. Her comb looks really pale pink and at the back like grey. Again, I will try to post a picture soon but any suggestions as to what is wrong. Today I was in my chicken run (I have 2 BO chickens) and saw some poop that was a tiny bit red. What's going on?

Combs do go pale during a molt. And they can remain pale for a month after a molt. And unless this is a very hard molt, they shouldn't act sick, nor should the comb turn grey. The grey could be from illness or possibly frost bite too.

Definitely post a picture so we can see exactly what she looks like.

Occasionally birds do shed intestinal lining and you might see some blood in the poop. Bacterial and fungal infections in the intestines can cause blood in the poop as well. Coccidiosis causes blood in the poop, but not always.

Is she acting sick at all? ANY other symptoms? If she is acting her normal self, eating and drinking well, seems active enough, she may still just be lagging from the molt. If she is acting cold, not eating or drinking, could be an illness. I would suspect Coccidiosis if she has gone off her food and water. Cocci always causes starve outs. Corid in the water for 5 to 7 days will treat all the strains of Cocci.

When was the last time you wormed your birds? Worms are incredibly devastating on chickens. They start by consuming all the food the bird eats. You will notice your birds getting thinner and thinner, inspite they are eating like pigs. The worms multiply to epic proportions in the intestinal tract, eventually stopping waste and causing the intestines to rupture. So if you haven't wormed this year, I would do this as soon as possible.

I've never wormed before and the only other symptoms is that she complains more than often and is being a little more aggressive towards her "sister". If I give them food my other chicken will get near, but the one I'm worried about will stand a little taller and peck her once so she goes away. These are the only chickens I've ever had and they're the same breed, but the possibly sick one has always acted like a leader, so is this normal that she is more aggressive (like just how the pecking order goes or something) or is this slight change in behavior bad?

It's normal for the comb to be pale before, during, and after molting. It's also normal for them to be grumpier than usual. Once they stop dropping feathers, it can take weeks for everything to be all grown back in, and then they need to get their body weight back up. The whole process can make them very irritable. I've had more bickering and fighting this past month, than ever, and it's all because half the flock is in various stages of molting. It's almost like chicken PMS, they're all moody and hormonal.

Thanks, that's really reassuring.

But, I was just out with the girls and Canela, who is the one with the healthy comb, is barely eating. I think she's scared or something of Rosie (the one I was worried about) pecking her or something. I even brought out mealworms and she didn't even eat any unless I put it right in front of her. Then, she ate some, but Rosie went over, so Canela just walked away looking cold (because now she's molting).

I agree with the above poster. When they molt, their hormones can change their personality. Some birds become more aggressive, some can become more shy.

She is probably just going through her molt, her comb is pale because the hormones have backed off in her body for now, and she just feels cranky.

But keep an eye on her for any other physical changes and post here if you see something you think might be an issue.

Good luck with her and I hope she gets through this molt soon! :)

Make sure you have plenty of areas for all your birds to get sustenance. Not just one food and water station, but 2 or 3. The higher ranking birds can run off the lower ranking birds and can starve out the lower ranking birds. Even to death.

It is normal for the higher in the order birds to want to keep all the goodies to themselves. Make sure you put out enough or even separate the shier ones and feed them on the side. :)

Make sure you have plenty of areas for all your birds to get sustenance. Not just one food and water station, but 2 or 3. The higher ranking birds can run off the lower ranking birds and can starve out the lower ranking birds. Even to death.

It is normal for the higher in the order birds to want to keep all the goodies to themselves. Make sure you put out enough or even separate the shier ones and feed them on the side. :)
This is IMHO the sole reason for the pecking order. Starving out lower ranking birds, even to death, is the poultry equivalent of winning the Charles Darwin Award and in a natural free range environment this behavior is highly useful.... that is if you're a chicken.

I would like to add something to what TwoCrows said. During the molt a chicken is sore and feverish, they don't like being caught, handled, petted, or monkeyed with in any fashion. If at all possible do all of your doctoring, dusting, and other husbandry chores before the molt kicks in with a vengeance. Your chickens will think you for it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom